Chapter 29

Jack appeared out of nowhere just as Sam had gotten herself comfortable in bed. "I have news from the Hunters that you may be interested in."

Sam was all ready for school tomorrow, so she really hoped that this news wouldn't affect her ability to play normal for the next few months.

"Have they all decided to leave me alone from now on?" she asked, while knowing that what Jack had to say would be nothing close to that.

But she couldn't help hoping.

"No," Jack said simply. "But someone has put a bounty on your Vampire boyfriend stalker."

Sam didn't smile or laugh. That would only encourage Jack to say more stupid things like that. Which he was doing a lot lately, and he seemed to find it amusing. Being a Ghost must be super boring. Sam shook her head, sighing. It had only been a matter of time before they tried to get to Jamie. Especially if he'd been following her around more than just the times she knew of.

"You're not going to ask me why?" Jack sighed dramatically and let himself fall to the floor, sitting cross-legged beside her bed.

"I wasn't going to ask," Sam stated. She didn't care why someone wanted Jamie dead.

She didn't know him.

It didn't concern her.

She didn't want to get involved.

She had her own problems to deal with.

Jack sighed. "Ask me why."

"Uh, okay . . . Why?" Sam asked reluctantly.

"He killed the Hunter who attacked you, along with two higher level Warlocks who were running a secret base just outside of town." Jack did an overly dramatic air grab. "To protect thine honour!"

Sam rolled her eyes. "You're way too easily amused." Jack laughed. "If he killed two higher levels and a Hunter, what makes them think that a team of Hunters will be able to kill him?"

"They haven't hired Hunters to kill him."

"But I thought you said-"

"No," Jack interrupted. "They hired a team of Vampire Hunters to kill him, don't ever mix up Hunters and Vampire Hunters . . . It's insulting. And just in case the Vampire Hunters don't do the job-which less face it, they probably won't because they're shit at everything except being stupid-they also put a message out across the whole magical community offering a reward for whoever kills him."

Shit, Sam thought, that's bad.

A community wide bounty was what was put on Sam too. So she knew better than most that it wasn't an easy thing to have to deal with. Especially when a lot of the people who go after those bounties are the type who want to take you back dead rather than alive.

The whole magical community.

And poor stupid Jamie didn't even have much knowledge of Vampires. With knowledge as limited as that, she seriously doubted he knew that other supernatural beings even existed.

Sam couldn't help but feel partly responsible for Jamie's situation. If he had just stayed away from her he never would have felt the need to kill those Demons or that Hunter and he wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Sam sighed, and closed her eyes. She had been starting to believe that she could make it through the year without someone getting killed because of her.

Guess that'sanother hope gone.