Book 2 - Chapter 21

Waking up early in the morning was something that Jamie didn't think he would ever get used to.

When he first met Sam, he'd made an attempt to readjust his body clock to better suit hers. It was difficult at first, and over time it had become less difficult than it had been, though it still wasn't something that he did easily.

It would be the equivalent of a human attempting to sleep all day and stay awake all night, every night for the rest of their lives. Their bodies weren't built for nocturnal life, just as Jamie's wasn't built for the daylight hours.

Nevertheless, he forced himself to wake, the sound of a shrill beeping noise reverberating around his brain. With a sigh, he pushed himself out of his bed and got dressed. Picking up the bag he had arranged last night, he left his home, and went to meet Sam at her house.

It was about seven thirty when Jamie arrived, meaning he was right on time. He walked up to the front door, about to ring the bell, when he heard shouting from inside and hesitated. His hand hovered just in front of the doorbell as he listened to the voices inside.

Barely a second after he didn't ring the bell, the front door flew open. Sam stood on the other side, glaring at Jamie, though he could tell that her anger wasn't aimed directly at him. The glare was simply a by-product of her current mood.

"Morning," he said with a smile.

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Hi,"

"Where the fuck are you going with him!" Danny yelled, appearing in the hallway behind her.

"Fuck! You!" she screamed, turning around to face him. "You can't just come back here and tell me what I can and can't do!"

"Yes I can! I'm your legal guardian and I own this fucking house, you wanna live here you'll do what you're told!"

"I'm eighteen!" she yelled. "And if you don't want me here then I'll just move out!"

"And where the fuck are you going to go?"

"Maybe I'll go live with Jamie!"

"Fuck off are you going to live with him, he's not allowed in this house or anywhere near you!"

"You fuck off!" Sam turned abruptly and walked out the door, slamming it shut behind her. "Move," she ordered, grabbing onto Jamie's arm and pulling him away from the house.

Jamie turned his head, looking back over his shoulder when he heard the front door reopen. "Why do you always have to behave like such a child!"

Sam turned herself around to face him, walking backwards. "Why do you always have to behave like such an asshole!"

Danny bit his tongue and gave Sam the finger. Jamie looked at her and saw that she was wearing an expression of suppressed rage, very similar to the one Danny wore, and she gave him the finger with both hands.

Before Danny had a chance to say anything else, or to make any more hand gestures at Sam, she turned on her heel and stormed off, grabbing onto Jamie's arm and dragging him along with her.

"You shouldn't talk to him like that, you know," Jamie said, once they were far enough away from the house for Sam's pace to slow.

She turned her head and glared in his direction, though from the expression on her face, he could tell that her heart wasn't in it. She seemed tired and distracted. Ever since she'd come back she'd been distant. Well, more distant than usual. "Why not?"

"Well, he's your brother."

"So?" Sam said, staring off into the distance. An action that had become somewhat of a regular habit for her. "No he's not," she said with a sigh. "Not really."