Chapter 61

Jamie walked into a bar. He needed to drink something strong to help him forget. He closed his eyes to help his head to calm. But behind his lids all he could see was her face.

He could see her eyes, still full with colour, a beautiful vibrant bluish–purple, and they were watching him as if he had betrayed her.

He opened his eyes and looked around.

No longer able to bear the sight of her.

Jamie sat on his stool and wished he could go back and stop himself. He had no real recollection of what happened; the last thing he remembered was digging a hole behind Sam's house. But when he'd opened his eyes to find Sam dead in his arms, with her throat torn open and the taste of blood on his lips . . . it wasn't too difficult to figure it out.

He would have staked himself through the heart right there and then, but he didn't have the strength.

He just couldn't do it. Even though he felt death was all he deserved, his survival instincts got the better of him. He needed someone else to do it for him.

Jamie looked behind him as the woman walked past, trailing her fingers along his back as she went. She stopped at the door and turned to him. Jamie could smell her from where he was sitting.

Her scent was so irresistibly sweet.

He looked in her direction.

Their eyes met.

She smiled at him invitingly. As if she wanted him to leave with her.

Trying to convince him she wanted him, but Jamie already knew why she wanted him specifically and not someone else.

Jamie stood up and finished his drink in one go.

Then he followed the woman outof the bar.