Until Death Do We Part--Or Until I Kill You

I stood there not really sure what to do at everyone staring at me. I guess I had imagined this situation much definitely. Actually to be honest I never imagined a situation like this happening to me after David’s rejection. I gave a tense smile in Alpha Harvey’s direction. He sighed, “You don’t have to ask for forgiveness son.” He says in a calm tone, “Rose and I are happy that you have been doubly blessed.” He pulls Rose closer to his side and I look toward her to see that her eyes look a little teary but there is a smile on her lips. 

Noah lifted his head and I could tell that he was feeling tense. I gave his hand a knowing squeeze and that seemed to help him relax a little. Rose was smiling at me, “So Scarlett, how did you find your way into Noah’s path? God knows he rarely leaves his territory.” She looks to him with a teasing grin. I bite my lip nervously not sure how I should answer her question, “Uh—I actually was traveling through the area. It was an accidental meeting…” He squeezes my hand at my word choice I’m sure. 

Rose smiles brightly, “Well I can say that I’m happy to see him with a real Luna by his side.” I try to keep from laughing when I see Delilah’s body tense up at her statement. 

“Oh I don’t know how great of a Luna I’ll make—my pack back home was definitely much smaller but I’m willing to do what I can.” I comment and I honestly meant that. For as long as I was with Noah and his pack I was going to do my best to help them in the ways I could. She tilts her head to the side, “You remind me of someone I used to know—You wouldn’t happen to know Elizabeth Miller?” 

I feel a pang in my chest at the name, “Yes—that would be my mother.” My mother had died when I was still a young pup and I had witnessed first hand what it was like for a wolf to loose their mate. My father had turned into a shell of a man even though he was around I practically raised myself. That’s why I had been so nervous about finding my mate, it had taken David a week or so to convince me at first that I should accept the mate bond. Once I had it was like everything in my life felt right for the first time in a long time but the rejection—I felt my wolf whimper inside me at the memories. 

I let out a tiny surprised gasp when I felt my body pressed against something warm and hard. I felt my cheeks heat up when I realized that Noah was holding me close to him and I knew it must have been a reflex reaction because he’d felt my discomfort. 

“I knew you it! You have the same fire in your eyes that she did, and of course her lovely looks. The boys in our pack used to be go crazy over Elizabeth…” She winked at me and I gave her a small smile trying to keep from turning the mood sour. 

“If she’s anything like her mother you’re going to have your hands full—“ Rose teases Noah, “I can already see she is nothing like our Claire…” Her voice falls off at her last statement and I feel the pain rise up in Noah at her woods. I lean my body into his more and the arm around me tightens as if seeking for  my support. 

“I promise to do my best to behave—but I’m making no promises.” I tease trying to take away everyone’s attention from the elephant in the room which clearly was Noah’s dead mate, Claire. I make a mental note to myself to find out everything I can about the late Claire because clearly it is a very sensitive topic. Dane laughs as if understanding what I’m trying to do, “Don’t behave to much—Noah here deserves a little trouble.” He winks and I smile back at him. Despite our rough meeting I could tell that Dane was a good guy and clearly had his Alpha’s interests at heart.