Chapter 2

Friday October 31st, 2031: Carson's 3rd birthday

The school year seems to be passing fast, but the days still feel so long, especially after staying up most of the night. Carson has been having nightmares that seem to get worse the more time the passes, Emma says that it's normal, that healing takes time, and it gets worse before it gets better. She says it as if Hope hasn't went through the trauma of losing her own parents due to her own mistakes. During the days Carson is thriving though, he still doesn't talk besides when he cries out in his sleep, but Hope has taken to learning sign language along with Josie, Carson has taken to it quickly and will communicate that way when he needs something. Which is definitely an improvement from him just sitting there staring. Hope had talked to him earlier in the week about his birthday and Halloween, they decided on making costumes and wearing them to dinner and the store to get some candy before coming home to watch movies. Hope went simple and pretty clique for her own costume by just making a pair of wolf ears, while Carson was a super hero using his favorite blanket as a cape. They were going to be meeting Josie, and her family for dinner, Josie was going to be staying with them for the weekend and watching movies with them. Besides have cake and dinner at the grill it wasn't going to be too much different from every other weekend. Josie was always staying over at their house to help out and hang out at the same time. Carson was growing quite attached and would even sign 'JoJo' almost all of the time. Josie never thought she'd like that nickname again after Penelope, but it always made her smile when he signed it. Hope too was growing attached, but didn't want to push anything. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she lost Josie as a friend, let alone made it so Carson lost another person as well, so she kept her feelings secret. That of course got harder back when Finch and Josie broke up over Josie's 'obsession' over Hope and Carson. Josie was fighting her own feelings as well, she had thought for years that her crush on Hope was gone, but with everything they've went through over the years and now seeing her with Carson makes her realize her feelings for Hope were never gone. The fact that they were pretty much raising Carson together probably didn't help either of them with their growing feelings towards the other.

It was after school, Hope and Carson meet up with the Saltzman family at the grill for dinner, Caroline had come back the prior week to spend some time with the twins. And of course even though Carson had seen Josie not even an hour earlier at the school he was jumping into her arms the second he was out of the car.

"Hey buddy, somebody missed me." Josie smiles hugging the boy tightly, her hold falters just slightly a second later.

"Of course Mama JoJo!" Carson's voice was soft and sweet.

"Carson, you spoke!" Hope cheered running over and hugging both him and Josie while Josie and the rest of her family were in shock at what he said.

"Mama Hope!" Hope squealed with joy and took him into her arms.

"Yes, I'm mama Hope!" She hadn't felt this happy in years, she could feel tears welling up as she smiles wide.

"Um are we not going to talk about what he called Jo!" Lizzie asks looking across the group. She receives a not so subtle smack to the back of the head from Josie.

"Okay buddy, let's go in and get you some food." Josie says after recovering, Hope carries Carson while Josie and her lead the group into the grill. Carson doesn't speak again besides pointing or signing while there. Lizzie, Alaric, and Caroline don't say much themselves either as they are still in a bit of shock at Carson calling both Hope and Josie mama. Josie and Hope on the other hand take it in strides, both of them sharing wide smiles for all of dinner.

At the Mikaelson manor(Hope's and Carson's home)

Josie was sitting on the couch with Carson on her lap while they watched the second movie of the night. Hope was out of the room popping popcorn, but was back quickly, sitting down besides them. They looked like a picture perfect family Hope thought to herself, only to be saddened by the fact that they never really will be, well at least not Josie. After all the younger girl doesn't having feelings for her. She only cares about Carson and even then she'll most likely move on when she gets married and has kids of her own. After all Lizzie turned so now the merge isn't a problem, Josie can grow old and have a family of her own, leaving behind Hope and Carson to be their own little family. Her thoughts are running a muck that she doesn't even realize that the movie is over and Carson is gone till Josie is standing in front of her clearing her throat.

"Shit, sorry. Where's Carson?" Hope says looking around somewhat frantic.

"He fell asleep so I carried him up to bed, I told you I was going to before I left." Josie explains wondering what got Hope so stuck in her head.

"Oh sorry, I was lost in my thoughts I guess.

"About what?"

"Nothing important." Hope lies and Josie sees right through it.

"Now that's a lie if I've ever heard one, so I ask again what's on your mind?"

"Just life, the future."

"What about it?"

"It's really isn't important, we should just head to bed." Hope stands only for Josie to block her.

"Hope, please talk to me. I can see it in you eyes you aren't saying something."

"It's really nothing, don't worry about it."

"Well now I'm just more worried, every time you've ever said 'don't worry about it' it usually something to worry about. Now please just tell me." Josie grabs Hope's hands in her own and looks her right in the eye in a silent plea.

"I have feelings for you! Alright now you know, and now you can just leave me sooner." Hope whisper screams and goes to pull away.

"Hope? Why would I leave? Because you have feelings for me? As if. Hope every moment I'm with you I have to fight back telling you my real feelings. Hope I like you too. Hell I'm in love with you!" Josie confesses holding onto Hope's hands tighter.

"Wait really?"

"Yes really. Hope, I love you."

"I love you too, Josie." Hope crashes forward pulling Josie into a kiss.

"Mamas?" They are pulled out of the moment when Carson walks in, he's rubbing his eyes with one hand while to other clutches his favorite blanket tightly.

"I'm sorry, baby boy. Did mamas wake you up." Hope asks picking the sleepy toddler up. He nods while resting his head on her shoulder.

"We're sorry buddy. Do you want one of us to read you a story to help you go back to sleep?" Josie asks, she standing besides Hope and rubbing his back softly.

"Mama JoJo read?"

"Yes, mama JoJo can read it." Hope says with a soft smile that Josie matches.