Chapter 3

Thanksgiving day

The entire Mikaelson family, along with Carson's grandparents, the Saltzman-Forbes family, the Salvatore family, Jeremy, and Bonnie are all together to the Mikaelson mansion for thanksgiving. Carson and Nik are playing together in the play gym down in the basement with Josie watching them while everyone else was working together to make dinner.

"I'm gonna go check on the boys and make sure they haven't overthrown Josie. I'll be right back." Hope says after finishing up with her part of dinner prep.

"Hope, can I talk to you first real quick?"

"Sure Caroline, is something wrong?"

"Not really. I've had some emails from concerned parents since break has started."

"Let me guess, they're about Carson."

"They are, some of the parents have expressed that they don't want their children in the same class as him. I responded that Carson isn't a problem nor would he hurt anyone, but some of the parents are threatening to pull their children."

"You're not saying that Carson isn't welcomes are you?" Hope almost growls.

"No, no of course not. Carson is and always will be welcome at the school. I just wanted to let you know because of the concerns Alaric and I talked and we are going to expand the school more next year. We are going to start to include wolves of any age whether they've triggered their curse or not. We figured it would bring in more students, including younger wolves around Carson's age. Until then though I'm going to be teaching a class myself for the rest of this school year, it will be Carson and a select group of students that are closer to his age, ones' that parents are more excepting to Carson being at the school. And this isn't even because of the parents, but because I think Carson would also do better in a smaller class especially with hime still being so young."

"That sounds good, thank you for telling me and for helping so much."

"Of course, Hope. I don't know how anyone could ever not fall in love with the little man."

"I'm gonna go check on said little man. Gotta make sure Nik and him aren't driving Josie crazy." Hope and Caroline chuckle softly and Hope walks away to make her way to the basement where the play gym is.

"Hey Hope."

"Hi Josie, they driving you crazy yet?"

"Of course not, they're angels didn't you know."

"Oh yeah definitely angels." Hope can't help but laugh as she sees Carson crawling across the top of the monkey bars with Nik following right behind.

"Is dinner done?"

"Not yet, I just wanted to come check on you all."

"We are doing good, I think both boys will sleep good tonight. They've been all over this room running and climbing everything."

"Well I hope so, I could use a small break. I swear Carson is raw energy sometimes, he never stops."

"If you need a break I can watch him. I really don't mind."

Hope is quiet as they watch the two boys play, she knows Josie cares about Carson and her, but their relationship has been a little awkward since Carson's birthday when they kissed. They hadn't talked about it or what it means. In some ways Hope wants to tell Josie exactly how she feels, but at the same time she's scared. What is the kiss was a mistake and Josie regrets it, maybe that's why she hadn't said anything either.

"Jo?"

"DINNER IS READY!" Freya yell down the stairs and the two boys take off running. Hope goes to follow but Josie catches her arm.

"What were you going to say?"

"It's nothing, let's go eat."

Dinner is full of lively conversation and laughs. The entire mansion seem to come to life with everyone together, and to most of their surprises no fighting, of course other than the occasional playful bickering pointed mainly at Kol. By the time dinner is finished everyone is stuffed, happy, and tired. Both Carson and Nik don't even make it away from the table before they fall asleep, leaving the adults to coo over the two young boys.

"I'm gonna take these sleepy heads upstairs." Hope says standing up and picking up Nik and then going to get Carson as well.

"Mama?"

"Yes baby boy, let's go up to bed okay?"

"Mama JoJo!" Carson looks behind Hope and reaches for Josie.

"I got him Hope." Josie says with a gentle hand on Hope's shoulder, before moving around her to pick Carson up. Together they carry the boy upstairs, Carson passing right back out the second he is in Josie's arms.

"They make such a cute family." Elena says smiling and everyone around the table agrees with smiles of their own.

"I still can't believe how much Carson has changes in such a short amount of time." Carson's grandfather says.

"He definitely has, even from how he was before the accident. He seems happier than ever. We definitely made the right choice." His grandmother adds.

Hope and Josie lay both boys down in Carson's bed gently before tucking them in and going out into the hall, making sure to leave the door cracked.

"Hope, what were you going to say earlier?"

"It's nothing Josie." Josie shakes her head and drags Hope into her bedroom.

"Hope, I need you to talk to me! It's been almost a month since we kissed and you haven't brought it up once! Do you regret it? If so just let me know so I can move on."

"What? You think I regret kissing you?"

"Well what else am I supposed to think? You haven't said anything about it since then."

"I just, I thought you regreted it. You didn't say anything either."

"Of course not, I was terrified that you regreted it and don't have feelings for me. I didn't want to risk losing you or Carson. I love you both too much to lose either of you."

"You love me?" Hope asks dumbfounded.

"Seriously that's all you got from that."

"But you do, you said it."

"Fuck! Of course I love you Hope! I've loved you since we were kids and that will never change."

"You love me." Hope smiles brightly at Josie.