Chapter 1

~Two years after the war- The year 2000~

[Harry]

It was sunset when Harry put Teddy to sleep in his crib. It was the last day of Andromeda's vacation. She would be picking him up tomorrow. He gave him a kiss on his forehead and joined Ginny at the dinner table. She was picking at her food.

Harry flashed her a grin. "Aw, come on, I know I cooked but it isn't that bad, is it?"

Ginny gave him a small smile, "No."

Harry could sense that something was off. "Bad appetite?"

Ginny didn't look up from her plate. "mmhmm."

Harry knew something was bothering her. He rubbed her shoulders gently. "You're tense. You want to talk about it?"

"Actually... yes." Ginny looked up from her plate.

Harry turned to face her. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know how to tell you this..." Ginny heaved a heavy sigh.

Harry was getting more and more alarmed by the second but he made an effort to pull himself together for the sake of his wife. "What?" he asked, softly.

Ginny, who hardly made any eye contact so far lifted her head and looked Harry directly in the eye.

"I love you, Harry." her voice was so determined it panicked Harry more. "And I know you love me, too." 

"Of course, love." He kissed her tenderly on her cheek like he does when she's upset, but surprisingly, Ginny pulled back.

"Harry... you're gay."

That he did not expect.

Harry tried to collect himself. The information was so unexpected he had trouble processing the complicated words his wife put so simply.

"Wha-" He managed to sputter.

Ginny sighed. "You're gay, Harry. There had been hints here and there even before we started dating. But it was all just a suspicion then. When we were dating, I was convinced that it was nothing more than a doubt. But after we got married- I started to question if it was... right."

Still making direct eye contact, she continued on. "I don't know if you knew about this yourself, but I think it's high time I told you."

Harry's mouth dropped open as if to say something, but then closed it after a second. He opened it again but the only sound he could muster was something between a squeak and a cough. He felt like a fish out of water.

Ginny touched his arm lightly, her eyes full of concern. "Harry... I know this is a lot to take in now, so I'm going to give you some space, okay?"

He nodded, mute.

Ginny gave him a small smile and kissed him on his forehead before she turned and padded quietly to their bedroom. Harry watched her, dumbfounded as she left the table. She shut the door softly, barely hearing the click.