Chapter 37

[Draco]

It was a cool Saturday night, and Draco was pacing around his living room in circles. This date had to be perfect. Just perfect. Absolutely nothing could go wrong. He was nervously sweating through his custom-made dress robes and he cursed the expensive fabric.

They had been dating for almost two weeks now. He was certain, this was the time, there was no going back. He checked his reflection in the flower vase for the millionth time.

There was a knock and he jumped. Rushing to the door, Harry came in in the usual quickening fashion as the furious Prophet reporters refused to back down.

"I brought cake!" he exclaimed happily. "I made it myself- chocolate chip cookie flavor!"

Draco frowned. "You shouldn't have!"

Harry simply kissed him on the cheek and he stopped protesting. They made their way to the dining room, and Harry was chattering on animatedly. "Teddy's finally learning to control his Metamorphmagus abilities! He let a scar appear on his forehead today!"

Draco laughed. "That's adorable." There was extra energy in his voice today. He wondered if there was another reason other than his godson for that.

They passed the dining table and Draco kept on walking. Harry stopped behind them. "Aren't- aren't we eating here?"

Draco didn't stop and let Harry continue to follow him. "Well," he said as he started going up the stairs, "I thought we would do something a little different today."

Harry's eyebrows disappeared into his hair as they stopped in front of Draco's bedroom door. "It's nothing like that," he added hastily.

Way to ruin a totally romantic gesture.

He took a deep breath. "Ready?"

Harry looked into his eyes with a hint of uncertainty but nodded.

Draco opened the door. Harry gasped.

The room was transformed into a dome-like space. Trees were surrounding it; the ceiling was enchanted like the Great Hall to look like the beautiful sunset outside. Wildflower bushes perched on the outskirts of the dome and the plush carpet was replaced with freshly cut grass. In the center of the room laid a checkered blanket, a basket and a bottle of wine were placed neatly on it. Even the air had a fresh, earthly smell.

Draco reached into a bush closest to the door and pulled out a bunch of wildflowers. He handed them to Harry.

"And these are for you."

Harry took them slowly, apparently still taking in the scene before him.

"Draco..." he breathed. "It's- it's perfect."

He gave him a fleeting kiss on the lips and grinned. "I told you your arse was about to get kicked."

Harry chuckled shakily, still transfixed. There were tears in his eyes.

"C'mon," Draco said, taking his hand and leading him inside.

He led him to the checkered blanket, which was cast his handy warming charm. There was an occasional breeze in the room Draco made to make it believable.

They sat down together, and Draco took off his shoes and laid them neatly at the edge of the rug. "We won't be needing them tonight."

Harry followed suit. "Draco- I- I don't know how to-"

"Shhh." Draco shushed him gently with a finger. He pulled out two glasses from the basket and uncorked the wine with a pop.

"I believe we have some drinking, laughing, eating, watching the sunset, and-" he pulled out two plates of treacle tart- "some ordering treacle tart to do."

Harry kissed him with a tear rolling down his cheek. When they broke apart, his emerald eyes were still shining with joy. "I love it. So much. So much." He kissed him again, warm and soft.

They had the best time. Draco was secretly gloating about his date organizing abilities as Harry's eyes continued to sparkle and shine.

The enchanted sky gradually transformed to night, and soon it was dark, a beautiful inky blue.

Harry laid down on the blanket and Draco laid down beside him.

"You know, we haven't had cake yet," Harry said, gazing at the stars.

"Is this your stupid pickup line to hold my hand? Because if it is, it really is stupid."

Harry chuckled softly and inched a little closer to Draco. "No, but since you asked-"

He felt a hand snake closer to his palm and their fingers intertwined. Draco tried to focus on not sweating and what he planned to do next. Harry's head was gently touching his shoulder, his hair tickling his neck.

"It tickles."

Draco smiled to himself in triumph as Harry purposedly buried his head into his shoulder. He knew he would fall into that trap.

Slowly, his free hand slithered into his pocket and pulled out his wand. It's now or never. He directed the tip to the enchanted sky and concentrated with all his might on the wordless charm he had practiced for three days.

"Harry," he nudged his forehead softly.

"Hm?"

"We're supposed to be looking at the stars."

"Hmph. Fine." Harry dragged his head away from his shoulder but tickled him one last time. "Just for the record, tickling you was also-"

He stopped dead mid-sentence. He could feel Harry's body still. Draco's heart was pounding.

On the indigo blue sky, the glittering stars were arranged into the words:

Will you be my boyfriend?

Draco thought he would pass out. The silent seconds seemed like an eternity.

For a minute, Harry said nothing. Slowly, he pushed himself up and rummaged in the parcel he brought. Draco's chest went cold. Was this rejection?

He tried to calm himself. He was so sure he would say yes, he was so sure today was the day.

Draco felt a strong hand pull himself up. He was now face-to-face with Harry.

"Let's eat cake," Harry said simply.

Draco's world crashed. He couldn't believe his ears. He was so certain, after this evening he had planned to every single little detail... that no one could ever say no. The tears were struggling to fight their way out of Draco's eyes.

The chocolate chip cake sat between them, looking delicious and mouth-watering. But he had no appetite whatsoever.

"I'm going to go," Draco managed to choke out and made to stand.

Harry's firm grip pulled him back down. He handed him a knife.

"Aren't you going to cut it?"

Draco couldn't help it. A tear fell silently down his cheek and he wiped it hastily with his sleeve.

"No." He stood up again and half-expected Harry to stop him but he didn't. His heart went stone-cold.

But Harry spoke. "It's okay. I'll just cut it myself."

Draco turned around. The cake was magically split into three pieces. On the surface, the chocolate chips were no longer in random order.

Be my boyfriend?

Draco was speechless.

Harry stood up and smiled, his eyes watery. Draco's mind was numb as Harry's arms looped around his waist.

"Shall we answer together?"

Draco looked into his eyes. Once again, grey met green. He could only nod.

"One... two... three."

"Yes."

Draco hoisted Harry onto his hips and with their arms both tight around each other and without a second of hesitation, they kissed.