Chapter 52

[Harry]

The trio trudged out the dining hall and went toward the lift. They made their way to training room W.

Harry embraced the familiar warm feeling of training room W. They were finally starting Practical Defense again, his favorite and best subject.

Amira smirked at the singe mark and Harry laughed along with her. Chris rolled his eyes.

Training room W looked nothing like a training room. It was full of couches, colorful beanbag chairs, and plush pillows. It was decorated that way partly because the beanbags and pillows were excellent for target practice, also that during the courses the three of them were thrown across the room so often it only seemed sensible.

"D'you reckon Bardin will make us do a round of battle?"

As if on cue, Auror Donovan Bardin came strolling into the room. "Long time no see, the three of you."

Chris and Harry greeted him with 'hello sir' and Amira used 'good afternoon, Auror Bardin.'

He was tall, slim, and with brown hair and a slightly balding head, and a goatee. He also had the most amazing bodily reflexes Harry had ever seen.

Bardin glanced at the gaping black singe mark on the wall. "Ah, the mark still there, eh?" he chuckled. Harry caught Amira's eye and looked away quickly, biting his tongue.

"Though I have to admit, that was some impressive magic, Mr. Paisible."

Chris' expression was a cross of embarrassment and conceit.

"This is your third and last year, as I trust many of your instructors have already lectured you about. We will start with a round of battle to see if you have improved or rather slacked off. I will be picking up from the level you three appear to be on."

Chris' prediction came true. The trio experiencedly huddled together.

"Whose turn is it?" Harry whispered.

"I think it's me," Chris said.

"No, it's me. Stop trying to be the lucky one, you always do that." Amira scolded.

A round of 'battle' was what Bardin liked to do before and after a series of sessions. The trio took turns to duel in pairs until Bardin called, while he and the other person observed. 'The lucky one' was the person that didn't have to duel twice in a row.

"The lucky one's me, sir," Amira said as the three of them broke apart.

"Very well. Ferox, Paisible, you're up. Potter, over here."

He wished both of them luck and jogged over to the side of the room. "Protego Totalum... Protego Maxima..." Bardin muttered, enclosing them both and the medicine cabinet behind a strong shield.

"The rules are the same. You are free to use anything around the room for offense or defense. Everything besides Unforgivables, Memory Charms of any kind, and Dark Magic is allowed. Explosive curses are only to be used on objects."

Bardin looked to Chris, then to Amira. "Wands at the ready! You too, Potter."

Harry obeyed, preparing to react if the powerful shield broke under untimely circumstances. He could feel the adrenaline rush coursing through his veins as he gripped his wand tightly and watched Chris and Amira draw theirs, glaring determinedly and each other.

"DUEL!"

"Expelliarmus!" "Petrificus Totalus!" "Stupefy!" "Protego!" "Finite Incantatem!" "Diffindo!"