Chapter 1 - Disturbing Murmur

When someone is deemed too powerful, people become scared of them, of what they could do. Their minds distant themselves from the truth and become absorbed in their own horror. It was natural, something that happened all the time. At least it happened all the time with you. People would defect, as the doctors called it, they would try and murder you or themselves. Thoughts that you have read and listened to said vague and incomplete jumbles of what could be happening. Something about your mental state. Whatever that meant, you were unsure.

The doctors feared your possible defection as well. They would be unable to stop you if you did, but why would you? What lies beyond the world that would be worth fighting for? You'd been here so long, you couldn't even remember what the sky looked like. You slowly breathed out through your nose. There was no reason why you would need to leave. You were fed here, cleaned, and taken care of. Slowly, you blinked and the lights flickered above you slightly.

Strange, but not uncommon. The building was 'off the grid' as the doctors' heads reminded you. "Subject 7629." You heard the intercom say as the lights flickered again. "Prepare for extraction." Standing from the white bed you go over to the door and wait. Slowly, the electric door to your room opened. A guard was behind it, quick to move you through the hallway and towards the experimentation room. 

'What a bitch.' You heard the thoughts of the guard. 'Every damn day it's the same. Take her, move her, what's the point, exactly?' Eventually, the male stopped you and pressed a button. However, you were puzzled. The room he led you to was not your normal testing chamber. Different could mean a number of things, but most were bad. "Get the fuck in." The guard said, rolling his eyes and shoving you forward. Wordlessly, you move into the doorway. 

The new area certainly was different. It was dark there, no sources of light, besides the door behind you. As that began to close, total darkness became your companion. You weren't scared of it, though. "Subject 7629, there is a monster hiding here. Find and eliminate." The intercom said, echoing through the dark. 

Soon after you sat down on the ground, crisscross, and closed your eyes. Depriving your eyes of stimulation helps you focus intently on your sense of hearing. Nothing came to you at first, but then subtle footsteps sounded on the opposite left of you. Slowly, you opened your eyes and narrowed your ability in that direction. 'Dead.... Everything...' You heard it think as you stood up. Whatever it was, was incapable of complex thoughts. Most of what you received from it was gurgling or shortness of breath.

However, it did seem large and ungraceful. The quieter it was in the room, the more thunderous the footsteps of the being became. From there, your natural hunter instinct kicked in. Years of being trained as a weapon, using certain methods to get your kill, you were taught to look weak and draw it in. "H-Hello?" You stuttered out in fake fear. Raising your hands to your chest you took a cautious step forward. "W-who's there?" Even though your throat was dry, nothing would deter you. Even as the soon rapid footsteps of the being came in, trying to attack. You placed your facade over your face. "S-stop right there!" You yelled as the ground started to rumble. "I'm w-warning you!" It continued on, seeing you as easy prey. As soon as you heard it breathe, the ground started to shake again. Not because of the creature, no, it was because of you. Howling and growling soon followed as the sound of flesh tearing erupted throughout the room. Little tics of a liquid hitting the ground, more of the creature screaming, then a sound of something hard hitting the ground..... Silence.

'I think I killed another.'

__________

The cool night air passed through a gentle breeze as people walked by small shops. Most were closed, lights turned off, but others were open with people standing at their registers, still visible through a window. Couples and people by themselves meandered through, either heading home or doing late night shopping. However, a male, somewhat hidden on a roof, watched it all. His white scarf blew in the wind slowly as he gazed down.