6. Flash

~ FLASHBACK ~

A newly-appointed Cardio Attending was walking through the pristine white hospital that she worked at. She was looking for her boyfriend, Mark, as she had to tell him something as soon as she could. She then spotted him, stood at the reception desk, filling in charts.

"Hey!" Kate said, slightly jogging over towards where he was stood. He turned around and flashed her his charming smile.

"Hey. You okay?" He asked.

"Not really. I've got an emergency bypass to scrub in on so I don't think I'm going to make it tonight. I'm so sorry." Kate said sadly.

"But I had a table booked at Mastro's. I've been on the waiting list for months!" Mark groaned.

"I know I know. Can't you just move the reservation?" Kate asked hopefully.

"No I can't. That's not how that place works. Why do you always do this?" Mark said, with a slightly angrier tone.

"Do what?" Kate asked, really confused. She didn't understand why Mark was being like this.

"Constantly changing plans! You always have an excuse to not go to dinner or even spend time with me!" Mark yelled and people started to look.

"Mark people are watching." Kate said, in a hushed tone. She noticed out of the corner of her eye that their friends and colleagues Derek and Addison were slowly walking over to them.

"I don't care! I've had enough of your crap. That's the last time I do anything nice for you." Mark yelled and stormed off, throwing the chart that he was holding at the receptionist. Everyone around them was shocked and Addison came running over to where Kate was stood and Derek went running after Mark.

"What the hell happened?" Addison said and Kate turned to face her.

"I had to cancel plans cuz I have a surgery and he blew up at me." Kate said, still completely shocked.

"Derek is trying to talk to him. I'll see if I can get through to him and send Derek your way." Addison said, rubbing Kate's arm.

"No no I'll be okay. I'll talk to Derek later." Kate said.

"Okay. I'll try and find you later." Addison said, giving Kate a weak smile and walking away.

~ Later that Day ~

Derek spotted Kate and started running towards her. The pair were working late shifts and their partners had left earlier on in the day.

"Hey! Kate!" Derek said, running after the Cardio surgeon. She turned around to face him.

"Hey. What's up?" Kate asked.

"Are you okay after what happened this morning? I don't understand what was up with him and even when I asked him, he didn't respond." Derek tried to reason.

"This is Mark we're talking about." Kate rolled her eyes.

"True, true. Do you want to stay at mine and Addison's tonight? You know, so Mark can cool off." Derek replied.

"Yeah that would be great, thank you. Have you finished now?" Kate asked the neurosurgeon.

"Yeah. Have you?" Derek asked.

"Yeah thank God!" Kate laughed.

"I need to tell you something huge. You're the first person I'm telling but don't tell Addison that." Derek said.

"Yeah of course. What is it?" Kate asked, intrigued by what he was going to say.

"I've been offered a job at Seattle Grace Hospital as Head of Neuro." Derek said.