9. Feeling Good.

"Congratulations Dr. O'Malley. You just completed your first surgery here at Seattle Grace." Dr. Webber said over the gallery intercom. Everyone in the OR clapped and Kate smiled. Dr. Webber and a few more of the doctors were watching this momentous occasion from above, including Mark, Derek and Addison. Mark was clapping loudly when he caught Kate's eye and gave her a thumbs up.

"Okay let's get Mrs Johnson to recovery." I said, taking off my scrub coat and gloves. The OR started to get emptier and emptier until it was just Kate on her own. She looked around completely mesmerised by this place. It truly was a great hospital. She took off her face mask and left the OR and was immediately greeted by her younger brother and his friends.

"You were amazing in there!" George exclaimed, pulling her into a huge hug. She hugged the youngest O'Malley back.

"Thanks Little Bro." Kate said smiling.

"I've never seen someone do that surgery so quickly." Izzie exclaimed, clearly trying to get into Kate's good books.

"I'm sure that you'll be able to do it just as fast soon." Kate smiled. She was on a high since this surgery. All of a sudden, she heard a familiar voice come from around the corner.

"How did your first surgery here feel?" It said and she turned around to see Derek walking towards her with his arms open for a hug. The pair hugged tightly, swaying side to side.

"It was amazing. There is no other feeling quite like it. I feel so at home in the OR. Is that weird?" Kate asked jokingly.

"Not at all." Derek replied laughing.

"I noticed that you were watching me as I was operating." Kate smiled.

"Of course I was. I wasn't going to ignore the fact that my favourite intern from New York was performing her first surgery here! You were honestly so amazing in there. Obviously, you learnt from the bets in the business." Derek said, cockily but joking.

"Sure sure. That's why I moved from Neuro to Cardio." Kate said whilst winking.

"Look, I've got to go but Joe's tonight to celebrate?" Derek asked.

"Of course. I'll meet you there." Kate smiled. Derek smiled back and walked away to go and do whatever he had to do. George was then just about to say something when Mark appeared out of nowhere.

"It seems like just yesterday you were performing your first Appi and now look at you!" Mark exclaimed with two drinks in his hand. He handed one over to Kate and she gave him a funny look.

"Mark, you know I hate coffee." She said.

"That's why I got you hot chocolate. Did you really think I'd forget?" Mark chuckled.

"You don't forget that but you forget your loyalty to her." George muttered under his breath. Kate shot him a death glare. "What? You know he hurt you."

"George stop it." Kate said, rolling her eyes. She took the hot chocolate out of Mark's hand and took a sip. A wave of euphoria rippled throughout her.

"Good right?" Mark said and Kate nodded.

"Oh my God, this is amazing!" Kate explained.

"Only the very best for Dr. O'Malley." Mark winked and Kate blushed slightly. George muttered something under his breath and stormed away and all of his friends followed him.

"What's his problem?" Mark asked as the pair began walking through the hospital.

"He doesn't like you." Kate said, taking a sip from her hot chocolate.

"I mean, sure what I did was shitty but surely it's an older brother's job to act like a Rottweiler. You have Ronny and Jerry to do that." Mark chuckled.

"Wait until they find out I'm actually working in the same vicinity as you, let alone having a drink with you. They'll be over here with their shotguns faster than you can say "hunting". George likes to think that he's tougher than he actually is. He would never physically harm you, trust me." Kate explained.

"I remember when I first came into this hospital. The look he gave me was unreal. He's still refusing to be on my service, 2 years on!" Mark exclaimed.

"That's ridiculous. I'll try and talk to him." Kate said. She sighed and shook her head.

"I mean, it's his loss losing out on surgery hours." Mark joked, making Kate smile.

"I'll try and talk to him. I'll catch up with you later." Kate said, smiling. She went to go and walk away to find her idiotic brother but Mark stopped her.

"Hey wait." Mark said. Kate turned to face him.

"Yeah?" She replied.

"Do you, uh, do you wanna grab some dinner tonight?" Mark said, nervously scratching the back of his neck. Kate hesitated for a moment.

"Sure." She smiled.

"It's a date!" Mark replied. As she was walking away, she yelled to him.

"Not a date!"

Mark smiled. It was totally a date.

{823 words}

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delays in posting. I've just moved back home for summer from university so everything is hectic at the moment! I should be able to get into writing more soon so stay tuned!!