13. Unbreak My Heart

"So the chest X-ray shows that you have ARDS, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Unfortunately, this means your surgery will have to be pushed back until you're stronger and I can clear you for surgery." Dr Hahn said the the patient.

"How is ARDS treated?" Carla asked, looking worried.

"You'll have to breathe through a mask attached to a ventilator. If your breathing is severely affected, a breathing tube may be inserted down your throat and into your lungs. Fluids and nutrients will be supplied through a nasogastric tube that's passed through your nose and into your stomach. You will also be on a course of antibiotics. As soon as more oxygen is evident in your blood, you should be cleared for surgery." Kate explained calmly. The patient then began to cry.

"Why me?" The patient sobbed and Kate gave her a sympathetic look.

"People can recover quickly from ARDS. We will always be on hand to help you if you are struggling with anything. The cardio team are definitely the strongest here." Kate said, with a slight smile. Carla sniffled.

"Will you stay here whilst I'm in the hospital?" Carla asked the O'Malley girl.

"Of course. I will stay in Seattle until you have recovered, okay?" Kate reassured her patient who had just stopped crying.

"Thank you." She smiled. Kate nodded and stepped out of the room, followed by Erica.

"Do you need to call the hospital in Florida?" Erica asked.

"Yeah. I don't think they will mind. They'll understand that I'm looking out for my patient. Any good doctor would do the same. I'll give them a call later on tonight." Kate explained and Erica nodded, walking away. Kate sighed and made her way to Dr. Webber's office.

Once she had arrived at the chief of surgery's door, she knocked lightly and she heard a faint "come in" from the other side of the door.

"Hey Dr. Webber." Kate said.

"Ah Dr. O'Malley. How can I help you?" Richard asked with a smile.

"My patient, Carla Jennings has ARDS, meaning her surgery has to be pushed back." Kate explained.

"Well aren't you going to go back to Florida in 2 days?" Richard asked sounding confused.

"That's the thing I came to talk to you about. I was wondering if I could stay until the surgery is done and the patient is recovering well. I totally understand if you say no to that." Kate said.

"As long as Florida are happy with it, so am I. You can stay for as long as you need." Richard said.

"Thank you so much!" Kate exclaimed. She was worried that he would say no because of staffing issues and what not but she was so glad he agreed. She smiled and then walked out of the office, bumping into her little brother on the way out.

"How come you're so happy?" George asked his sister.

"Well hello to you too. My patient has ARDS so her surgery has been postponed until further notice. This means I'm staying here for a while." Kate said.

"What about Florida?" George asked.

"I need to give them a call but I'm sure it would be okay." Kate said.

"Great. I'm stuck with you." George joked, pulling a face. "Do you have somewhere to live?"

"I'll find somewhere. Not too worried about that at the minute." Kate said with a smile.