19. Talk to Me

Kate was finally coming to the end of her shift that seemed to last forever. Every time she walked past George in the halls, he avoided her like the plague. She just wanted to talk to her brother and iron things out but he didn't want to hear it. The only good thing was that she saved two lives today and avoided Mark as he wasn't in work. The only downside to that was that she had to face him at home. Why did this have to happen to her?

Once her shift was over, she swiftly clocked out and started making her way home. As soon as she walked through the doors, a cold breeze hit her face. It was a fresh feeling - something she hadn't felt in a while. Well, apart from when she was with Mark last night. Maybe this was a sign. A sign that she was in the right place and potentially with the right person. She shook off those thoughts because she was still very confused about everything, especially her feelings surrounding Mark Sloan.

Once she was home, she was greeted by an empty apartment.

"Mark? Are you home?" Kate called out. No response. How odd. She tried texting him but there was still no response. She shrugged it off and grabbed a glass of wine from the kitchen to try and calm herself down.

An hour had passed and there was still no word from Mark. Meanwhile, Kate was at the bottom of the wine bottle. Not long after she took the last sip, the door opened and someone walked in.

"Kate?" A voice called out.

"Down here." She slurred. He walked around to see her slumped with her back against the couch.

"Are you alright?" Mark asked her.

"Oh I'm just dandy. Where have you been?" She said, the room spinning around her.

"I went out to see someone." Mark explained.

"One of your whores I presume?" Kate said.

"No. Actually it was your brother." Mark said.

"Which one? I have three. Be more specific Mark." She argued and he sighed.

"George. I went and spoke to George. He texted me earlier about what he overheard and I wanted to talk to him." Mark said, sitting on the couch next to where Kate was.

"And what did he say? Did he call me a disappointment? Tell you I have no respect for myself?" Kate slurred.

"At first, yes. But we spoke and things have been ironed out. But I think it would be best if you spoke to him to clear the air." Mark explained.

"If you haven't noticed already, I'm a little bit tipsy. I'll speak to him tomorrow." Kate said, starting to stand up.

"Why have you been drinking? Is there something wrong?" Mark asked and Kate turned to face him.

"I just have feelings that I don't know what to do with." Kate whispered.

"What kind of feelings?" Mark asked softly.

"Feelings for you! I should have never come to Seattle because as soon as I laid eyes on you everything came flooding back to me. And when we kissed I just knew that it wasn't going away any time soon! And then after last night... well I just don't know how to feel anymore!" Kate exclaimed, beginning to cry. Mark stood up and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Look you need to sleep this off. We'll talk about this when you're sober." Mark said, smiling a little.

"Whatever." She muttered, shaking his hand off her shoulder. She slumped off back to her room and got herself into bed. How could she be so stupid?