16. A Little Less Conversation

"Kate? Are you here?" Mark called throughout the apartment. Kate stuck her head out of the doorway of her bedroom and smiled.

"Hello!" Kate said, walking to the living/kitchen area.

"I've brought us some dinner. I couldn't be bothered to cook and we've both had a busy day so I've got Chinese takeout." Mark said, placing the bag on the counter.

"Oooo yum." Kate said, jumping onto the couch.

"So how was your day?" Mark asked, plating up the food.

"It was alright. I did some charts and checked in patients. Only had to crack two chests today. Argued with George. How was your day?" Kate replied, grabbing the plate that Mark was handing to her.

"Did a couple of liposuctions and a butt lift so usual to be home at. What did you argue with George about?" Mark asked, sounding concerned.

"He had a go at me for moving in with you. He just doesn't understand that I am old enough to make my own decisions." Kate said, taking a bite of her food.

"He still doesn't like me, huh?" Mark asked.

"No offence but I don't think he ever will." Kate laughed.

"I don't particularly care. Obviously I have a reputation to uphold but it's just George." Mark said.

"Watch it Sloan. That's still my brother you're talking about." Kate said.

"Okay I'm sorry." Mark said with a smirk on his face. The pair chatted lightly as they were eating their meal. Once it was finished, the pair sat in silence watching tv. Kate turned to Mark.

"I do have something I want to talk to you about." Kate said. Mark turned off the tv and turned to face her.

"What's up?" He asked.

"We've kind of spoken about this before but I'm still apprehensive about us. Whether that is in the context of a friendship or... well I don't know. I just don't want to get hurt again and it took me a lot to even agree to moving in with you." Kate explained.

"Nothing has to happen if you don't want it to. I'm happy to just be friends. I know I hurt you a lot and I will never forgive myself for it. Yes we've kissed but I'm not going to push you for anything. I'm grateful that you agreed to move in with me because, I don't know, I know it was difficult for you to even speak to me." Mark said.

"I just don't want a repeat of last time. Plus, Derek said that you still liked me and that made me nervous." Kate said.

"That son of a bitch." Mark muttered under his breath.

"I'm sorry. I'm just scared." Kate said.

"There's nothing to be scared about I promise. I'm a different man." Mark said.

"I did like that kiss." Kate said, blushing slightly.

"Good job I liked it too." Mark said seductively.

The pair leaned in towards each other, connecting their lips. The kiss was smooth and soft and felt perfect. After a couple of minutes, Kate pulled away.

"I'm sorry." Mark said.

"Don't be. I just needed to take a breath." Kate said, smiling slightly.

She kissed him again, this time a lot deeper. Mark began to kiss her neck, biting on it occasionally. He pulled away from the kiss and scooped her up off the sofa and took her into the bedroom. He placed her down carefully on the duvet.

"Do you want this?" Mark asked cautiously.

"It's the only thing I've been thinking of." Kate said smiling.