20. Not a Bad Thing

"Morning sleepy. Or should I say drunk?" Mark said, chuckling to himself. He walked over to where Kate was sleeping with a glass and water and some aspirin in his hands.

"Ugh what time is it?" Kate groaned, sitting up and holding her head.

"1pm." Mark said.

"Shit I'm supposed to be at work." Kate said, wincing.

"Already sorted. I said that we had the flu so We've got a couple of days off." Mark explained. He sat on the end of her bed whilst she took the pain killers.

"Thank you." She said and he nodded.

"About last night..." Mark began to say but he was cut off.

"Oh god. I'm so sorry about what I said." Kate said.

"Look don't worry. I wanted to speak to you anyway. But I want you to speak to George first." Mark explained.

"Why should I speak to that dick?" Kate said.

"Because he's sat in our living room and isn't leaving until you both speak." Mark said, causing Kate to groan.

"I hate you." Kate said, burying her head in the pillow.

"Get up." Mark said, chuckling. He ripped the duvet off her body, forcing her to get up. Once again, she groaned and got up. She wrapped her robe around her and headed to the living room.

George was sat on the couch, looking really uncomfortable and awkward. Mark stood in the kitchen to keep an eye on the siblings' conversation although it hadn't even started yet. He knew how fiery this pair could be so he was standing guard for an explosion. Kate walked over to the couch slowly and George turned to face her.

"Hello." Kate said.

"Hi." George said.

"You wanted to speak to me?" Kate asked, sitting on the other side of the couch. George turned to face her, taking a deep breath in.

"Yeah. Um, I'm sorry that I yelled at you in front of everyone. That was a step too far. I mean, I'm still very unhappy with the situation because of how badly he hurt you in the past. But after I spoke to Mark yesterday, it was clear he was remorseful. And after he told me how he felt about you, it made me change my opinion." George explained. I looked confused and Mark slowly walked over.

"What do you mean by that?" Kate asked, sounding confused.

"Uh he means nothing. Don't worry." Mark said quickly.

"But it didn't sound like..." Kate said.

"It's nothing okay?!" Mark said. George looked embarrassed.

"Anyway... I'm still never going to trust him and no matter what, I will be ready to kick his ass if needed. But if you're happy Kate, I'm happy." George said. Tears were welling up in Kate's eyes and she just hugged her brother tightly. He hugged her back and finally the pair had their bond back.

After a couple of hours, George went back to where he lived, leaving Kate and Mark all alone.

"Mark?" Kate called out and Mark appeared.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"Can we talk?" Kate asked. Mark came towards her.

"Um sure what's up?" Mark said. Kate took a deep breath.

"First of all, I just want to say thank you for bringing me and George together. We really needed that chat." Kate said.

"You're welcome." Mark said smiling.

"I have a question though. What did George mean by how you felt about me?" Kate asked, feeling very anxious about the response.

"It's complicated." Mark said.

"I have the time to listen." Kate said. Mark turned to face her.

"This is what I've been wanting to talk to you about. Kate... what I did years ago to you was completely unforgivable and I will never stop apologising for it. Since seeing you again, feelings have come back to me. And then when we started hanging out, and when we kissed and- well you know, I haven't been able to think straight. I want to start things up with you again and I just don't want you to go get upset. I know it's difficult but I do want you to think about it." Mark explained. There was a moment of silence between the pair. Kate was speechless.

"Mark..." Kate said.

"You don't have to give me an answer straight away. I just want you to think about this." Mark said.

"Mark listen. I've been feeling exactly the same way as you. I just haven't been able to put it into words. I'm just scared that I'll get hurt again." Kate said.

"I know I made a big mistake in the past but please believe me when I say that I'm truly sorry." Mark said.

"I know, I know. We're so good together and we are a perfect match. I'm just so scared. But, I am willing to try again and take things slowly." Kate sighed.

"Wait really?" Mark said, sounding shocked.

"What George said really gave me clarity and it's going to take me a while to trust you but I wanna start a fresh." Kate said.

"I promise I won't let you down." Mark said.