Ch 19: Charleston

I looked at my phone seeing two texts from Rafe and one from Kelce.

Top said he doesn't want anything to do with you Liz. What did you do to piss him off that bad?

I sighed reading the text from Kelce. Somehow Topper must have found out the truth. His love for Sarah must have been greater than his love for me, his best friend. Knowing Topper didn't want anything to do with me killed me. It hurt knowing my best friend was no longer there.

FaceTime later?

I smiled quickly replying to Rafe's text. I stared at Kelce's wondering if I bothered even responding. I set my phone faced down on the desk looking back to the computer.

"Elizabeth!" Reggie had said.

I forced a smile as he walked towards my desk.

"Anyway I can convince you to stay permanently here?" He asked smiling.

I exhaled sharply.

"Sorry but I have things- people to go home to" I said. "This has been incredible so far, I've been thankful for the opportunity so far."

"You would make an excellent part of our team" he said placing his hand on my shoulder.

I looked away to the computer.

"I need to finish these reports" I said avoiding eye contact.

He walked away without another word. I turned around to see him in his office. I closed my eyes as a shiver was sent down my spine. I went back to finishing up the reports.

Sometime later my phone buzzed. I picked it up to see another text frim Rafe. I responded before walking to my car.

The drive to the rental home was short and quiet. Walking inside I turned the lights on setting my keys on the table. I looked at the time grabbing my laptop. I sat down on the couch opening up my laptop as Rafes name popped up on the screen. I clicked the green button as his face appeared.

"Hi" I smiled.

"You look tired" he said.

I forced a smile.

"Just a little bit" I said.

"Your boss still giving you a hard time?" He asked.

I thought about whether or not I should tell him about the inappropriate remarks or the touching of my shoulder, although it wasn't the first time it had happened.

"Nothing I can't handle" I said.

"Something else is going on" he said.

I looked in his eyes through the screen.

"It's nothing really, just- um" I said trailing off. "Just nothing."

He looked at me confused before changing the subject. About ten minutes had passed when Ward appeared in the background.

"Hi Ward" I said.

"Hey Liz I'm glad you're on the phone with Rafe, I've been meaning to talk ask you if the cops had tried talking to you" he said.

"No actually, they've been leaving me alone. Figured it's because I'm not on the island" I said.

He smiled nodding.

"To be fair even if they did call I probably wouldn't even answer" I said.

"Good girl. I'm glad Rafe finally came to his senses and made a move on you. Exceptional young woman" he said patting Rafe's back.

I looked at Rafe who looked physically exhausted.

"I would never betray your family Ward" I said.

"You are family now Liz" he said.

I smiled nodding.

"I come home in a week and a half" I said.

"Can't wait to see you" he said. "We've got some business to talk about Liz if you don't mind."

"Not at all I should be heading to bed" I said.

Ward exited the frame.

"I love you" I said.

Rafe looked away smiling.

"I love you Lizzy" he said.

I hung up the FaceTime call closing my laptop. Looking around at the blank walls I felt tears swell up in my eyes. It was lonely at night. The neighbors partied nearly every night so I would go to sleep with some type of sound, though I didn't mind.