Chapter 55: Happy Birthday

Chapter 55

Happy Birthday

I heard the front door bell ring and tossed my homework to the side. Going to the top of the stairs, I saw my mother opened the door.

“Hello Titus.”

“Mrs. Perri.” He gave her a nod.

“He’s upstairs.” She left to go finish dinner.

Titus stepped inside and closed the door. He looked up at me and opened his arms. “Happy Birthday.”

I forced a smile and went to him. “Thanks.” I hugged him and waited for my kiss.

He tilted up my chin and gave me one. Pulling back, he stared at me, still holding my chin. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I laughed. “You’re here now, so everything is great.”

He didn’t look convinced. “Where should I put this?” He lifted up a bag.  

“In the living room, I suppose.”

Taking my hand, he led me there and put the package on top of the others, before pulling me to the couch. We sat down, and Titus put his arm around my shoulders.

“How’s your family?”

He shrugged. “Same as always.”

“That’s good.”

We sat in awkward silence. Titus was staring at me, but I kept looking off around the room.

“Are you going to tell me?”

“Nothing’s wrong, though,” I replied. “I’m good. Really.”

Grabbing both my hands, Titus turned his body, so it was facing me. “In four months, we’re getting married, and you will be my mate. I want you to be honest with me, so I can’t help you with things.”

I gazed off across the room. “Just don’t attack him.”

“It’s Chris, right?” he asked with anger in his voice.

Bowing my head, I nodded. “People at school found out I was engaged.” I twisted my ring around my finger. “He was making fun of me for it, and I said some things back. It set him off.” I sighed. “He dumped my things on the ground and kicking an orange juice bottle in my face. I’m fine, though, just annoyed.”

Titus took a deep breath, squeezing my hands. His jaw was clenched as he turned forward and pulled me back into his side. I couldn’t help it, I started to laugh. He gave me a confused look.

“How is this funny? You were assaulted,” he snapped.

“Not him, you.” I clasped his cheek. “You’re trying really hard not to run out of the house and track Chris down.” I sat up and kissed him. “Thanks you, it’s really sweet that you care so much.”  

“Well of course. We are engaged,” he muttered, “and he hurt you. If Chris was a werewolf, I beat his ass.”

I started laughing again. “Like any dominant male should,” I teased.

He mumbled something under his breath and sunk into the couch with his arms folded. Titus always did look cute when he pouted.

I put my arms around his neck. “Thank you for worrying about me,” I whispered in his ear. “But I’ll be okay. I promise.”

***