Chapter 41: Conflicting Advice

Chapter 41

Conflicting Advice

“Aden, Dinner,” called my mother.

I closed my English book and tossed it on the bed. The yellow envelope was sticking out of my bookbag. For once, I was excited to give my parents something from my teacher. I pulled it out, and the ticket fell on the floor. Kneeling down, I picked it up and scanned the information. I could never go to this, but it still made me anxious. If I went, there was a possibility Chris had something planned, but if I didn’t, he might just use it as an excuse to beat me up anyways.

“Aden,” called my mom.

“Coming.” I shoved the ticket into the bottom of my bag and grabbed the envelope.

Downstairs, my parents were waiting in the kitchen, talking about their days.

“What’s that, Aden?” asked my mother as she dried her hands.

“It’s from Mr. Phillips.”

They both forced a smile as my father took it from me. My mother hurried to his side. He took out the papers, and their smiles were no longer forced. I felt proud of myself, damn proud.

“The test is in the back.”

My dad pulled it out.

“Oh, Aden,” said my mother. She quickly pulled me into a hug. “You’re doing so well. See,” she wagged her finger at me. “All you needed was a little help, and you’re right up there with everyone else.”

My father patted my shoulder. “I’m proud of you. I appreciate you working hard to get your grade up.” He put the envelope on the counter.

“Thanks.”

Squeezing me to her side, my mother kissed my cheek. “Well, let’s eat.”

We sat down and passed around the platter with the roast. The conversation was the usual topics, but it didn’t bug me as much today.

“Aden.”

“Hmmm…” I glanced at my father.

“Your phone and laptop are on my dresser. You can have them back.”

“Really?” I exclaimed.

“Do not be texting all hours of the night?” He pointed his fork at me. “If your grades go down, and I’ll be taking it back.”

“They won’t, I promise.” I jumped up.

“Aden,” said my mother as she cut her meat.

I stopped and watched her eyes go to my plate. I sat back down. “I guess I should finish eating first.”

“Thank you,” she said happily.

***

Homework was done. I shoved everything back in my book bag. I checked the clock. Only nine. Yes! My father couldn’t complain about me having a long conversation with Titus.

I opened my phone to find all my old contacts gone. Only my parents and some relatives remained. It was kind of a relief that they were blocked. One was new though. Smiling, I pressed Titus’s name.

It started to ring. I really hoped he wasn’t out and about doing werewolf things. He had been demoted for a month. He should have his rank back by the end of this week.

“Hello?”

I froze. This didn’t sound like Titus. “Hi, this is Aden.”

“Oh, Aden,” laughed the man on the other side. “This is Darius.”