Chapter 13: Party Mishaps

"Why can't you go with me?" Titus groaned.

"Do you want to ride over with Chris?" I pulled on a blue t-shirt.

Titus fell silent as he laid across my bed. For once, the boy had proper clothes and shoes on. He was even wearing jeans. It was kind of weird to see him dressed up like a normal person for once.

"You could come with me?"

"I already told Chris that I needed a ride. He's probably on his way right now."

Titus rolled onto his back and dramatically throw his arms over his head. "You did a horrible job of thinking this through."

"I thought I was meeting you there. But for some reason, here you are." I peered over my shoulder. "That was the plan, remember?"

Titus rolled his eyes. "Whatever.

"At least, you didn't have to climb through the window." I sat on the chest at the end of my bed and pulled on my socks. "You would have ruined your fancy new outfit."

He crawled to me and draped his arms over my shoulders. "I hate these clothes."

"I know," I laughed. "It's weird to see you in them."

"I'm not meant for this city living."

"Yeah," I scoffed. "You're a country boy." I stood and looked at myself in the mirror. "Sorry but you're going to have to be civil for one night."

"Never."

"You sure are whiny tonight." I ran my hand through my hair, trying to tame some of the waves.

Titus climbed off the bed and walked up behind me. "You look nice."

I shrugged. "I look alright."

Titus leaned down and nuzzled my ear. "You look better than alright."

I smiled.

"Aden!"

I threw open the closet door and shoved Titus inside.

"Thanks a lot," he muttered as I slammed it shut.

"Aden." The bedroom door open and Chris stepped inside. "Hey, I rang the doorbell and no one answered."

"Oh, sorry." I grabbed my phone. "My parents went to dinner and I didn't hear it."

"Is that new?" He took the phone from me.

"Yeah, I accidentally broke my other one."

He smiled and tossed it back to me. "Nice."

"Yeah." I slipped it into my pocket.

"Let's go." He stopped and stared at the wooden animals lining my dresses. Chris glanced at me and it said plenty.

I snatched a shoebox off the ground. "Sorry, my mom was going through my things." Holding it to the edge, I swiped all of the animals into it.

Chris laughed. "You worried me there for a second. I know you're bored but I didn't think it was that bad."

Laughing along with him, I shook my head. The closet door creaked open. I ran over to it, shoved the box into Titus's hands, and slammed it shut. "We better go."

He shrugged and walked into the hall. I was right behind him. At the bottom of the stairs, Demon ran over to Chris and pawed at his leg.

"You got a dog?"

I sighed. "My mother's little monster."

Chris laughed. "Still hate them?"

"All it does is bite and poop." I opened the front door.