Chapter 3: Summer Job

"Aden?" My mother poked her head into my room.

"Hmm..." I replied, not looking away from the computer screen.

"Dinner will be ready in ten minutes."

"'kay." I scrolled down the page.

She sighed. "You've been on that thing non-stop for a week. Get off the computer and do something, or I'm taking it away."

"Whatever," I whispered under my breath, slamming the lid shut.

"Do you mind getting dressed for the day as well?" She folded her arms.

I glanced at my sweats and baggy t-shirt. "What's the point?" My head fell back. "The day is practically over."

"Aden." She narrowed her eyes and put her hands on her hips. "You will not spend the entire summer locked away in this room. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, ma'am," I breathed.

"That's what I like to hear. Hurry and put something else on and come downstairs." She left and closed the door behind her.

Sinking down in my swivel chair, I spun in a circle. I didn't know what she expected me to do. I wasn't an outdoors person and I didn't have a car. My options were kind of limited.

My phone started to buzz on top of the dresser. I pushed off the desk and rolled across the room. Snatching it, I answered and stood. "Hey." I walked to the window and sat on the ledge.

"Hi," said Jack. "I'm just calling to see how you're taking it."

I glanced outside to see my mom with Demon. The little monster was hiding more surprises on the lawn.

"About what?"

"You don't know?"

My stomach tightened. "No." I sucked in my lips. "What's going on? I thought you were leaving today?"

"I'm leaving tonight with Chris."

"He's back early from his family trip?"

"Yeah, Coach talked to his dad. They decided football was more important than Mexico. They went to Florida for a week instead."

"Oh." I glared at the floor. "Tell him thanks for calling me. I've been rotting away in my room since school let out."

"Aden, if I didn't have family things of my own going on, I would've done something with you."

"Yeah," I muttered. "It's fine. Chris was probably busy, too."

"About that." Jack fell quiet for a moment. "He has a new girlfriend. I went to a movie with them last night. I would have invited you, but..."

Closing my eyes, I braced myself. "It's Katy. Chris is going out with Katy."

"He said you were still friends with her." Jack laughed nervously. "It's not the first time he's gone out with one of your exes. I've even dated one."

I clenched my jaw. "Yeah, but it's barely been a week after she dumped me." I threw myself on the bed. "Whatever, it's done. There's nothing I can do. I knew they liked each other."

"Don't act like it doesn't bother you."

"It does bother me, but it's also Chris. There's not much I can do about it." I placed a pillow under my head.

"Yeah, because you let him get away with it. Maybe you should try standing up for yourself for once."

"We broke up," I muttered. "It happens."