Chapter 31: The Grove

Chapter 31

The Grove

I stared out the window at Harper's Creek High and felt like vomiting.

"Are you going to get out, Aden?"

I glanced over at my mother. "Yeah, I-I just spaced out." Opening the car door, I climbed out and tossed my bookbag over my shoulder.

"Do you need me to pick you up?"

I slid my hand into my pant pocket and clutched the note. "No, I'll figure something out."

"Alright sweetheart, just give me a call if you changed your mind."

"I will. Bye mom." I shut the door, and with a sigh, I entered the school.

The first person I saw was Chris with Katy on his arm. She whispered something and glanced my way. My stomach turned, and I really was going to be sick. Chris shook his head and said something to his football buddies. Jack peered over at me and quickly looked away. No one even made a move to acknowledge me as I walked passed. I guess he still wasn't over the Titus incident.

I was done trying to appease him, though. When I told Titus I was over him, I meant it.

I located my locker and put my bookbag away. Grabbing my binder and a pencil, I headed for my first class. Ten minutes early, but I figured, it would be better than standing around alone.

The door was open, and no one was inside, accepted the teacher typing on her computer. I shuffled in and took a seat in the back corner. She didn't seem to mind me coming in early. Unzipping my binder, I took out my sketchbook and turned to a blank page.

I spent my whole life trying not to be the artsy kid with no friends, and now I was content being just that.

***

The bell dismissing my last class of the day sounded. I gathered up my things and hurried out the door. Day one, and everything went okay. No one had talked to me, but it could be worse. I pissed off Chris Harper. Being ignored was a great alternative to what he could do.

I weaved through the crowds to get my locker. My heart sunk a little when I saw the group of people standing nearby. Creeping to my locker, I opened it and filled up my bookbag. The noise from nearby died down. Sucking in my lips, I closed the door and saw Chris looking at me unimpressed. I forced a small smile before ducking my head, and disappearing into the flow of students heading home.

Going out a side door, I started the walk home. I took the note out of my pocket and unfolded it.

Meet me after school in the grove near your house.

It made me walk even faster. I'd start running if it wouldn't attract attention. It was a two mile walk, but if it meant I would see him, I was happy to do it.

I listened to music on my phone all the way. My house was about a quarter mile down the street, but I took a right down the road in front of the Andersen's field. A smile appeared on my lips, when I saw the grove up ahead. Glancing around, I saw a truck drive down the adjacent road. I waited for a few seconds before breaking into a run.

Breathing heavily, I skidded down the embankment on the side of the road and hurried into the trees. "Titus," I yelled. I spotted a log and sat down. I checked my phone for the time. Maybe I was early.

Someone grabbed me from behind.

"Titus," I gasped.

He hugged me and tilted my chin to him for a kiss. Happiness, this is what it really felt like. I turned and wrapped my arms around his neck. I kissed him hard and pressed up against him. We parted, and Titus pressed his lips to my forehead.

He brushed his thumb along my cheek bone. "Are you crying?"

"Shut up," I muttered, roughly wiped my face. "I'm just happy, so it's not crying."

Titus laughed. "I missed you too." He brushed back my hair.

"Three weeks," I breathed. "Three damn long weeks."

He cupped my cheek. "Come with me." Grabbing my hand, Titus led me into the trees.

A blanket laid across the ground. We sat down.

"What would happen if your dad finds out?"

"We just won't let him find out." He gave me a quick kiss.

I nodded and laid down with Titus on top of me. Our lips met.

Leaning down, he placed soft kisses along the scar on my shoulder. "I wish this was permanent."

I ran my fingers through his hair. "It won't fade completely in nine months.

His head popped up. "What will happen then?"

I smiled. "Come here."

He kissed me and quickly deepened it. I wrapped my arms around him. His hand slipped up my shirt.

Pulling back, I breathed deeply. "We're going too far."

Titus groaned. "I know." He hugged me. "I just want you."

I laid down and pressed his head to my shoulder. He ran his hand up and down his side. Time passed, and my eyes slowly closed as I twirled Titus's hair around my finger. My phone started vibrating in my pocket.

I pulled it out and sat up.

"Who is it?"

"My mom," I breathed.

I answered it. "Hello."

"I'm just wondering if you found a ride."

"I figured it out," I replied. "I'll be home in like twenty minutes."

"Alright, see you soon," She replied. "Bye."

"Bye." I ended the call and sighed. "Sorry."

Titus sat up and nuzzled my neck. "It's fine. I was just happy to see you."

"I want to stay longer, though."

"We can meet again."

"Tomorrow?"

Titus shook his head. "I can't let my dad catch on. I'll send you a note."

I nodded. Kissing and hugging him one last time, I grabbed my bookbag and started back to the road.

"Aden!" Titus ran over and pulled me back into the trees. His lips met mine, and he held me tightly to him. "I love you."

I hid my face in his chest and hugged him tightly. "I love you too. Bye."

After one more kiss, I jogged off into the road and trudged home. It was bittersweet, but well worth spending some time with my werewolf.