Meeting Amanda

Today I was to meet the only client of mine I'd yet to meet. Gloria gave me instructions to visit her today even though I would normally see her on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I didn't question why she wanted me to, I just did as I was told.

Amanda lived on the far end of Gearhart in an apartment with her boyfriend. She'd fallen down the stairs three months ago causing her to break her wrist and injure her back. From what I'd read of Wendy's notes, I was visiting Amanda to make sure she was safely doing chores around the house and that she was not causing further strain to her already damaged body.

The apartment was small, one half of a duplex. I frowned at the front door as I knocked, noticing several dents in it. I guess the mailmen were aggressive when throwing the paper on the stoop.

After a few minutes of waiting, the door opened a crack, revealing a woman who I could only assume was Amanda. I smiled brightly.

"Hello," I greeted her.

"H-hi. You must be the new therapist. Dr. Steger said you'd come by today if I asked."

I nodded. "You can call me Megan. It's a pleasure to meet you, Amanda." I stuck out my hand as she opened the door wider. She tugged down the sleeve of her oversized hoodie before shaking it. Stepping aside, she gestured for me to come in. I followed her through her home into the kitchen. I glanced at the living room as I passed. It was nice. The furniture was starting to show its age but it was charming nonetheless. I mentally whistled at the giant flatscreen mounted to the wall and the up-to-date gaming consoles beside it. Someone liked their video games. 

Reaching the kitchen, Amanda asked me to sit at the table, offering me coffee or water. I shook my head. Her shoulders slumped slightly. "On second thought, I could use some coffee. I didn't sleep well last night."

Amanda happily poured me a fresh cup of coffee and brought it to the table along with milk and sugar.

Once I had taken a sip and she had gotten comfortable in her own chair, I spoke.

"How are you today Amanda?"

She gave me a half-smile. "Well enough."

"Well enough? Okay. Um...Well, I don't know how much Dr. Steger told you, but I am to be your regular therapist's, Wendy's, replacement until she comes back from having her baby. I know it can be difficult to just pick up therapy where you left off with a new therapist, but I promise I will try to do everything within my power to make this go as smoothly as possible."

Amanda nodded.

"Before we begin, do you have any questions for me?"

Amanda nodded again, murmuring, "How long will this take?"

I sighed. Reaching into my bag, I pulled out her file and flipped it open. "It says here that you get therapy twice a week for one hour per session."

"We'll have to cut it short today. My boyfriend will be home from work early today. But if you come again on Thursday I'm free for the whole hour."

"Okay. Speaking of your boyfriend, can you share anything about him, or about yourself? I ask so I can get to know you better."

"Um," she squeaked, clearing her throat. "H-his name is Brookes. He works at the lumber yard. We're high school sweethearts." She smiled shyly. 

"Oh, that's nice!" I said, joy lighting my eyes. I was a sucker for cliche romances. "You can't have been together that long though. You look to be maybe twenty-one or twenty-two."

Amanda bobbed her head. "I turned twenty-one last week."

"Happy belated birthday! What did you do to celebrate?"