CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Please go and take a look at my new story 'Hall of Mirrors'! It's about Marie Antoinette and her years as the Dauphine of France. Any support would be awesome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Welcome to the Slytherin Quidditch Trials."

The group of chattering students who's ages range from 12 to 18 instantly stopped talking and focused on me. I twisted the end of my french braid around my fingers nervously, clutching my broom in my hand. I'd found it waiting for me in the common room this morning along with a chocolate muffin, courtesy of Draco. He's here too, looking incredibly handsome in his Quidditch kit and with an arrogant expression on his face. I sigh; he knows he'll get in.

"I'm Juliet Weasley, the Slytherin Captain and Seeker, and this is my vice, Sophia Archambault." I point at Sophia beside me who nods her head slowly at the younger students, who's eyes grow wide with admiration. Sophia is practically famous for her Quidditch skills, and why Professor Snape picked me to be the Captain over her, I'll never know.

"It's cold today, so I won't waste much time. Just because you got onto the team last year, doesn't mean you will this year. Age has nothing to do with it either, if you're good enough to play for us, then you'll get picked. And if you are picked but as a substitute, don't worry about no getting to play. Quidditch is a violent game with a lot of injuries, I've personally broken my left leg twice and my right arm 5 times. So don't expect to us to go easy on you. If that's what you wanted, Hufflepuff trials are tomorrow." The group laugh at my little joke and I smile, glad to have broken the ice.

"Ok, we're going to start with some basic flying exercises, seeing how you fly. Don't worry about any fancy tricks, there'll be plenty of time for that." I look specifically at Draco who smirks back at me.

There's a movement in the group as several students are pushed aside. I groan when I see the figure who's crossing her arms and glaring at me, her greasy black hair in a ponytail and her pug-like face ready to bite.

"Pansy, what're you doing here? You hate Quidditch." Draco steps between us before she can get too close. I look at him gratefully, remembering what Millicent told me last night. Pansy averts her glare from me and instead tosses her hair girlishly at Draco. "Oh, Draco! You look hot today." She runs her finger along his shoulder and I glare. Draco pushes her hand away. "What're you doing here?" He repeats. Pansy rolls her eyes. "Trying out for the Quidditch team of course. Everyone in the second year and above is allowed to try out for their house team." She narrows her eyes at me. "Get in line then."

Pansy is truly terrible on a broom. She has next to no control and knocks a third year girl off her broom, forcing the girl to withdraw and visit Madam Pompfrey for a fractured wrist. I run through different drills with them all, catching, saving, beating, flying. It becomes clear to me who shows promise and who's completely useless.

"I'll post the team list up in the common room by dinner." I inform them all before they hobble back towards the school, bruised and tired. I send Draco ahead of Sophia and I, along with Goyle, Crabbe and Blaise, so that we can start talking about the teams. Today was my first day back in lessons and  I've got a lot of homework to catch up on, mainly from Umbridge and Snape. I want to get the team sorted quickly.

"Goyle would make a good beater, he's got the right build and he's alright on a broom." Sophia suggests as we pack up the quaffles that had been left across the pitch. "Accio quaffle," I say, pointing my wand at one of the large balls that's somehow floating in mid air. It shoots towards me and I catch it easily, before putting it back in the large box. "True, but he's almost too bulky. He's too heavy on the broom and he looses control too easily." I reply.