CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"This is a direct violation of Educational Decree Number 24!" Pansy snarled at us. Her face was red with disgust as she examined the 'delinquents,' all of whom had been gathered in a small, dusty classroom whilst we awaited Dumbledore and the Minister's decision. Would we be expelled or wouldn't we? Harry had been taken away with Cho to the headmaster's office, as he was the supposed leader of the group, and Cho was the informer.

The Inquisitorial Squad had been ordered to watch us whilst we waited, they'd even been given permission to use a spell on anyone who tried to escape or cause trouble. It'd be no use anyway; Umbridge had found the list of names in the Room of Requirement. She knew everybody that was involved.

Ron sighs for what must be the hundredth time as we wait about. I stretch out my arms in front of me and my stomach growls. We'd been stuck in this room for 2 hours and had missed dinner. The Inquisitorial Squad had taken great pleasure in making us watch them eat the warm, delicious food that had been sent up by the house-elves in the kitchen.

Hermione paced up and down, her arms crossed nervously across her chest. Hermione hates getting in trouble, and despite her protestations at the start of the DA that she didn't care if we got in trouble, it's obvious that she does from the way her hair has become frizzy and she's bitten her nails down.

"Granger, sit down, you're giving me a headache" Blaise snarls at Hermione. I shoot him a glare which he sees but ignores, but nonetheless Hermione takes a reluctant seat beside me. "What if we're expelled? What if they take away our wands? Oh gosh, I didn't think that they'd be this angry!" Hermione stutters. Her voice wavers as if she's trying to hold back tears. "No talking!" Pansy screeches like a harpy. We all glare at her and return to silence.

A few minutes more of the torture pass. We're all hungry, but as I gaze to my left, I catch sight of one of the girls, Padma Patil. Padma has a serious medical condition that leaves her body weaker than a regular persons. She has to eat, drink and sleep at regular intervals or else she gets incredibly faint and sick. I know this because once at the DA, she'd forgotten to bring a snack with her and I'd given her my apple. She'd explained the whole thing to me and had frustratedly told me about how it prevented her from playing Quidditch for her house team, Ravenclaw.

Right now, Padma looked like a wreck. She was shaking uncontrollably, her eyes wide and estranged and her cheeks hollow. It appeared like she'd visibly lost weight in the few hours since she last ate. Her sister Parvati was doing her best to comfort her, although she looked complete helpless. Tears streaked down both of the girls faces, Padma because she was in physical pain, Parvati because she hated to see her twin like this.

I looked over at Draco, who was standing in a corner, his lips pressed into a firm line and his arms crossed across his chest. He hadn't tried to talk to me at all, and I'd have preferred to keep my distance from him. But Padma needed food, and seeing as Draco was the one stood in front of the table, I had no choice but to ask him.

I stood up and smoothed out my skirt, folding my hands together and trying my best to look innocent. All eyes were on me suddenly. I took a deep breathe and tried to calm myself. It's just Draco, he won't hurt you, he's just upset, that's all. My shoes tap loudly in the deathly silent room, and Draco looks up to watch me. He seems surprised when he realises that I'm walking to him.

We stand there for what seems like a millennium, staring at each other. Neither of us know what to say. Should I apologise? Should he reprimand me? For once, Draco doesn't seem calm and relaxed. Finally, I realise he's not going to speak and it's going to have to be me. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you, but it was the right thing to do."

Draco remains silent.

"I can explain, I can explain everything."

"I don't want to hear it, Juliet. You lied to me. I trusted you and then this is what you do with that trust?"