CHAPTER THIRTY

Seeing Draco kiss Pansy broke my heart. I felt as if I'd been torn in two, like I was a piece of food that had been chewed up and spat out, like I was worth nothing more to him than the muggles that his family hate.

I'd given Draco everything - not just my love but part of my soul too - and I'd thought that he felt the same way. He must have done, because his locket was still fastened tightly around my neck. Despite my heartache, I couldn't bring myself to take it off.

Maybe he'd known that I was watching, and he'd only done it to make me jealous.

The next morning at breakfast, after Pansy had flashed me a smug grin in the common room, I sat with Honey and Sophia and we watched in disgust as Pansy draped herself on Draco's lap. Even though Educational Decree Number 26 forbids boys and girls from being within 6 inches of each other, that rule doesn't seem to apply to Pansy and Draco - both of whom are members of the Inquisitorial Squad and prefects. That's the only satisfaction I've gotten from all of this is that Pansy isn't allowed the private room under Umbridge's orders for me not to mix with the other girls more than necessary and transfer my bad influence. About this, Pansy is incredibly annoyed.

Anyway, Draco wastes no time from the moment I sit down, instantly he has his arm around Pansy's shoulders and when he starts snogging her, I felt literally sick. But the thing that alerted me to the fact that he was trying to make me jealous was that the entire time he kissed Pansy, he kept his eyes open and fixed on me, waiting for a reaction. Well Mr Malfoy, I'm not going to give it to you.

I tucked into my breakfast as if nothing was going on, even managing to chuckle when Honey made a joke about how Professor Burbage looks like she's wearing a hedge rather than clothing, from all of the leaves and twigs that have somehow become attached to her outfit.

In his next attempt, Draco raises his voice and starts talking to Pansy. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out at the weekend" he asks her, although his eyes are on me. Pansy, being either completely unaware or just plain stupid, squeals excitedly and claps her hands. I raise my eyebrows and snort at his terrible attempts. Is that all you've got, I say mentally.

But then, he seems to think of something and when Pansy asks where they'll go, he opens his mouth and in his perfect, silky voice he declares "I know a special place, it's in the forest."

Instantly, I know that he's talking about the treehouse. Our treehouse.

That's taking it too far.

I glare at him, forgetting momentarily that I'm supposed to be ignoring his attempts. But would he dare to take Pansy to the treehouse, our special place. The place that we'd talked about making into a proper house and running off to, leaving our judgemental families behind?

I know it's childish, but in that moment pure fury overtook me and I couldn't think straight.

Two can play at this game.

Conveniently, Ron, Harry, Seamus and Dean are just walking past the Slytherin table. Before I really think about it, I jump up and purse my lips. Come on Juliet, you're a big girl. Besides, this will be fun.

"Dean," I drawl in my lowest, glossiest voice. He turns around instantly and I notice curiously how his eyes linger over my body before meeting my gaze. "Hey Li," he replies cooly, although I notice how he gulps, as if nervous to talk to me.

I flash a look at Draco, who's watching the scene closing, his fingers clutching an apple and squeezing it so tightly that the juice is dripping out of it.

I quickly check to make sure that there are no teachers present - they've all slipped out for their morning meeting with the new headteacher before the lessons begin - and so the coast it clear. Doing something that never would have crossed the mind of the old me, I step closer to Dean.