Chapter 12

"Talk"
T

hink'
"Parseltongue"
Chapter 12 – Samhain
Harry laughed at the scene in front of him, trying to hold himself up but failing and falling into the giggling Hermione sitting on the arm of his chair. They were all in the Founder's common room relaxing before the Halloween feast. The twin had decided that they wanted to try out a new experiment and Draco was the perfect tester. The twins had come into the room with two jugs of butterbeer. They poured all the glasses and slipped the powder into Draco's drink. Now here they all are laughing at Draco who has golden feathered wings for arms and a big pelican beak.
"Turn me back!" Harry just laughed harder at Draco's voice coming out of the beak.
"Oh gods, it's too much, it's too much." Neville was on the floor holding his stomach in pain from laughing. Even the founders were all laughing, though the women were trying to hide behind their hands. Fred and George finally calmed down enough to give Draco the candy antidote. Draco started sending spell, after hex, after curse at the twins as punishment. Some hit, others didn't.
"Oh goddess, enough guys." Harry paused trying to get his breathing under control, "We need to get ready for the feast. Calm down and let's put our stuff away in the guest room."
The others slowly got themselves back to a calm level, chuckles and giggles only coming at odd intervals until it stopped all together. Harry put his things down on the bed he claimed as his and waited for the other to follow him out of the door. The way to the great hall was filled with jokes and teasing.
Harry entered the hall and paused. The hall was all dressed up with jack-o-lanterns glowing 20 feet above everyone's heads, mist curled around the floor like snakes, bats with red eyes flew in random patterns, and sweets were abundant on all the tables. Hermione latched onto both Harry and Draco laughing in excitement. Oh how they all loved Samhain. They even had a simple ritual planned for after the feast in their room.
Harry, with Hermione on his arm, led the way to the Gryffindor table to drop Hermione and the twins off. Draco slipped to the Slytherin table next to it with a nod to Harry and the others. Harry then walked with Neville to their own houses that sat back to back. They all chose to sit at their assigned houses to eat as they wouldn't be participating in the house rituals later. Harry was going to spend some time with his Ravens and then Snakes before Draco and he had to meet the others though.
The feast was loud and joyful. People joked and laughed in abundance. Harry watched the twins talk to Hermione and Draco interact with a dark skinned boy he remembered was named Blaine Zabini. A glance behind his showed that even Neville was relaxed with his housemates. He turned back to his own table. His Ravens were happy to pull their king into a conversation or two. In the middle of the meal the door slammed open. Professor Quirrell ran in white as a ghost and shaking like a leaf, screaming his lungs out. "Troll! Troll in the dungeon. Thought you ought to know." He fainted dead on the floor.
Harry did a quick look at all the houses to see if all his were accounted for. Hermione was missing. The students were screaming and panicking. Many started to get up. "Ravens freeze." All his Raven that were in hearing distance stopped causing the others near them to stop as all turned to him, looking for guidance. Harry sensed Neville stand behind him. "Neville stay with me. Hermione is missing." He turned to his Ravens ignoring Dumbledore speaking. "Ravens you are to go straight to the common room. The Snakes will be joining you. You will all stay in the common room and stay calm. I will be with you when everyone is accounted for."
He waited for a nod from many of the faces he could see before he and Neville waded through the bodies tgrabbing Fred and George as they went. They made it to the Snakes quick. "Listen up. Snakes you are to go to with the Ravens. They will take you up to their common room. You will stay there until you are told otherwise by Draco, Snape, or myself. I will be there when everyone is accounted for. Now go."
Harry then moved with the rest of the students until they were out of the hall. He got to the side and whipped around to face the twins. "Where is Hermione?"
"She said she needed to go to the bathroom." Fred was already leading the way to the closest restroom. It was blocked off. "Shit, okay there are three bathrooms on this floor beside this one."
"Split up. Neville you with me to the ones closer to the dungeon stair, Draco go with Fred to the one by the courtyard, and George since you are best with speed you go to the one by the charm classroom." Harry took charge of the situation with grace and a level head. The others nodded and ran to do as they were told. He and Neville started running to the dungeon stairs.
They found the way block by the troll, it looked to have left the dungeon. He pulled Neville back to hide. He watched the troll walk into the girl's bathroom. They soon heard a female scream; a female that sounded like their Hermione. Harry and Neville ran to the restroom, ignoring how the floor shook and how the screams for help got shriller with fright.
The bathroom was a mess. Stalls were crushed and a sink looked like it has exploded. Hermione was curled up under the farthest sink, tears pouring down her face, with splinters of wood and stone covering her. The troll stood 12 feet and wielded a five foot long club. Harry jumped into action. He sent a freezing spell to the water on the floor. Neville sent a mild lightning hex, that Draco taught him, at the troll trying to distract it.
It worked, the troll turned and slipped on the ice. It fell, bashing his head into the wall and knocking itself out with half the wall. Hermione was quick to run into Neville's arms. Neville then maneuvered them over to Harry's side. Harry gave a brief glancing scan to Hermione's body making sure that she was unharmed. He sensed a group of people almost upon them. He twisted, making it so the other two were behind, and held his wand at the ready as the first person came into sight. The hex he had ready died on his lips when he saw his godmother and then godfather come around the corner. The headmaster and Quirrell followed with Flitwick and Sprout behind them.
Snape took one look at Harry, wand at the ready with eyes glowing and shielding a frightened Hermione in Neville's arms, looked at the unconscious troll, and slowly walked to Harry with his hand in plain sight. Harry dropped his wand arm. He felt the adrenalin slow and his magic calm. "Uncle Severus." The relief was clear to hear by all.
Snape pulled Harry into his arms happy he wasn't hurt. He passed Harry to McGonagall as he motioned Neville to bring the still shaking and afraid Hermione closer to him. Neville did after a look to Harry who gave him a subtle nod. Snape did a scan, never once touching the girl, to see if she needed to go to the med wing. She was uninjured. He let Neville pass, Hermione wrapped in his arms, to stand beside Harry.
Hermione took one of her arms from around Neville and latched it to Harry's arm. Harry let her seeing the terror in her eyes and feeling how much she was shaking. Dumbledore cleared his throat to gain the attention. "What happened here? All students were to go to their common rooms."
"Hermione was in the bathroom when Quirrell came in to tell us all about the troll. We –" Harry stopped, hearing and sensing the rest of his group running toward them. He watched them race around the corner, not even pausing at the sight of the professors. They huddled around Hermione. All of them were trying to see if she was alright or not. "As I was saying, we split up when we found the bathroom outside the great hall was still blocked from Peeves' prank. Neville and I came to check this one when we saw the troll go into the bathroom. We heard Hermione's scream and went to help. What you see here is the product of a freezing spell to the floor and a lightning hex to get the troll's attention. It moved, slipped, and fell, knocking itself out."
Harry stood tall staring Dumbledore down, daring him to say they did something wrong. Dumbledore knew he was out numbered and backed down. McGonagall didn't. "Harrison James Evans Potter! I know you wanted and did help but it was dangerous. You all could have been greatly hurt. 50 points each will be taken for knowingly going into a dangerous situation," Harry nodded seeing where she was coming from. "But 15 points each for doing it to find a friend and 20 points to both Neville and Harry for quick thinking and teamwork to save said friend."
Harry smiled but in the end he didn't care. Hermione, his Hermione, was in one piece and unharmed. "May we please go now? Hermione needs a place to sit and calm."
"Let's get her to the med wing." Sprout tried to get Hermione to let the boys go only to be hit by the panicked girl. Hermione screamed lashing out at anyone who tried to take her from her group. In her mind a voice was telling her that the professors wouldn't hurt her but she didn't conect with it. Her friends would help her, they would protect her.
"Hermione calm down. Hermione," Harry grabbed her and turned her to face him. She calmed seeing that he wasn't a professor. "Calm down. It's alright. You're alright Hermione. We got you." She flung her arms around his shoulder sobbing. Harry rubbed her back and whispered reassurances to her.
The professors waited, not knowing how to help the girl if she wouldn't let them near. None of groupwould let them near enought either. When Hermione first started screaming the others formed a protective ring around her, making it impossible to get to her without going through them. McGonagall was the one to make a decision as she listened to the poor girl sob into her godson's shoulder. "Harry, take her with you. First thing in the morning I want her to be looked over by Madam Pomfrey. Professor Flitwick will go with you as he needs to do a role call of his house."
Harry nodded to his godmother in thanks. He maneuvered Hermione into his arms bride style. He walked past them with the others following. Draco informed Snape that the Snakes were also with the Ravens before following with two professors behind him. Hermione's sobs echoed the halls. Harry tightened his grip on her when she gave a violent shudder. The Ravenclaw portrait was soon seen. Draco ran ahead to answer the riddle to get them in.
The common room was packed and loud with everyone talking. When the door opened all went silent. Draco surveyed the room full of Ravens and Snakes before getting out of the way so Harry could come in. Harry was happy to see his corner and chair was clear. He walked through the path everyone made to get to his corner, his group following him. He sat with a silent sigh and readjusted Hermione in his lap so her legs were draped over one arm of the chair and his left arm cushioned her back from the other arm of the chair. Draco came to stand on his left while Neville took the right. His twins took up residence on the floor by his feet, ready to jump up at any time.
Harry scanned the room to see if anything needed his attention that moment. When nothing caught his attention he turned to the shivering and hiccuping girl in his lap. Hermione for her part was trying to calm her breathing and get herself under control now that she was safe. Harry just held her. He turned back to the room when he decided that she was going to be okay.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Snape and Flitwick watched how the houses reacted to Harry and his friends from the entrance. They watched how all the eyes were on the group, how they stayed away from the corner Harry went to, and how they all moved out of the way to make room so the group could get there easier. The way the group sat showed who the leader was but also that they were ready to defend each other if need be. The group was still in protective mode.
Flitwick was shocked. His house had never acted like this to any of the kings or queens in the past. The person changed every couple of years so many didn't care too much about who was 'ruling'. He wanted to know what the boy did to gain so much respect that even the Slytherins respected him too. Harry was a first year and if he remembered right, a sixth year was king at the end of last year. So Harry beat a seventh year. That made him stop to consider things, that would have been enough to earn the Raven's respect.
The snakes on the other hand, Flitwick couldn't understand. He shared a look with Snape. They were going to talk about this when they finished their duties that night. He turned back to address the gathered students. "Everyone, attention over here please. Thank you, now I know that tonight has been more exciting than we all planned but everything is now alright. Mr. Evans and Mr. Longbottom were able to knock out the troll. A team from the Ministry is transporting the troll out as we speak." He figured he would let everyone know who took down the troll to see what would happen. He wasn't surprised to see many start clapping and even hear a few cheers but he was to hear many Ravens and even a few Snakes ask if they were okay or they needed any medical attention. They respected Harry enough to offer help.
Snape was doing much better than Flitwick, having already knowing that Harry was king of Ravenclaw and knowing that he was also the king of Slytherin. The respect wasn't hard to understand as Harry was a first year that beat two seventh years on the same day. He was a little surprised that not one of the Snakes tried to take advantage of the situation but brushed it off to the fact that Draco, who was still Slytherin's prince, was on Harry's side. He knew he was going to have an amusing time telling Flitwick everything. It might turn out to be a fire whiskey night for them like the old days.
"Slytherins," all eyes turned back to the head of houses. "The ministry is doing a full sweep of the dungeon to find the point of entry and as such you all will be staying in the Ravenclaw guest rooms."
No one argued or spoke out against it, so the head of houses bid them all a good night. The moment the door closed the Raven started firing off questions to Harry. They were again asking if everyone was alright and if they needed medical attention. They were asking everything under the sun from how they did it to if they were hungry. Harry tired of it fast.
He cleared his throat and everyone fell silent once again. "We are all fine. Now it is Samhain and as such both houses were planning to celebrate tonight with a ritual. Please do so, together or separate. Tonight is a time for reflection and death. It's the beginning of the New Year. We will be leaving to do our own planned ritual so continue on as you all had planned as well." He saw many nod and smile. "Now perfects please show the Snakes the guest rooms. I will see you all in the morning at breakfast." With that over Harry stood up with a now sleeping Hermione. The twins sprang up from their sitting positions and led the way to the door. Neville and Draco brought up the rear. They were all eager to get to their room. They wanted to relax and celebrate themselves now that the danger was over.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Hermione rested while the other set up for the ritual. It wasn't anything fancy but that was fine with them. Neville and Draco had both been raised in the old ways so this wasn't new to them. The twins had only started working in the old ways two years before hand. For Hermione this would be her first time. Harry had been a practicing solitary pagan since he was 8, having found a book on the old way and liked it. His aunt helped him celebrate by sneaking him up into the guest room to do what he wanted on holidays and full moons. This would be the first time he did something in a group.
Draco finished making the ring of salt on the floor while Neville bundled the herbs they were going to burn. Fred and George happily set up the altar with a black cloth, the golden god candle, the silver goddess candle, a small white candle, a small black candle, the red wine (Lord Malfoy was happy enough to send them a bottle to use) in a crystal chalice, a silver plate with apple slices, and a large plate with wood to burn. Harry was getting their clothing ready.
He woke Hermione when the others called out that they were done. Hermione changed in a black spaghetti strap dress with a handkerchief bottom and an open back. Draco went with traditional black robes. Neville chose to wear a gold and black traditional robe. The twins dressed in more modern robes of black and orange. Harry stuck with the same outfit he always did, lose black long sleeve shirt with black slacks and a hooded cloak.
They shared a grin as he stepped into the circle ready to begin. They each took a breath before they spoke the first part of the ritual together,
"I conjure thee, Oh great circle of power
So that you will be for me a boundary between the world of men and the realms of the mighty spirits
A meeting place of perfect love, trust, peace, and joy, containing the power we will raise herein
We call upon the protectors of the East, South, West, and North, to aid us in the construction of this circle
In the name of the Horned Lord and the Radiant Lady
Thus we do conjure thee, Oh great circle of power
This circle is sealed." It was a simple but they still felt the power wrap around them following the salt circle. Draco wanted to do a more complicated ritual but relented when Hermione reminded him that she was new to this. Hermione stepped forward to light both the golden God candle and the silver Goddess candle before stepping back.
Harry relaxed, feeling the magic mixing with his own, as they spoke the next part.
"Samhain is here, and it is a time of transitions.
The winter approaches, and the summer dies.
This is the time of the Dark Mother,
a time of death and of dying.
This is the night of our ancestors
and of the Ancient Ones." Neville stepped forward to place the herbs, rosemary, he bundled onto the plate of wood and lit it on fire. As he stepped back they continued,
"Rosemary is for remembrance,
and tonight we remember those who have
lived and died before us,
those who have crossed through the veil,
those who are no longer with us.
We will remember." They turned to the North.
"The north is a place of cold,
and the earth is silent and dark.
Spirits of the earth, we welcome you,
knowing you will envelope us in death." They turned to the East,
"The east is a land of new beginnings,
the place where breath begins.
Spirits of air, we call upon you,
knowing you will be with us as we depart life." They faced the South,
"The south is a land of sunlight and fire,
and your flames guide us through the cycles of life.
Spirits of fire, we welcome you,
knowing you will transform us in death." They turned to the west,
"The West is a place of underground rivers,
and the sea is a never-ending, rolling tide.
Spirits of water, we welcome you,
knowing you will carry us
through the ebbs and flows of our life."
Fred stepped forward to light the small black candle before stepping back,
"The Wheel of the Year turns once more,
and we cycle into darkness."
George finally took his turn to step forward and light the small white candle before stepping back,
"At the end of that darkness comes light.
And when it arrives, we will celebrate once more."
With this part done they decided to split to do their own way to contact the ancestors. Harry sat cross legged on the floor, pulling out the small lily key-chain mirror he used what seemed so long ago and a small silver pendant shaped like a snake fang. He twisted the top and a small blade popped out of the tip of the fang. He cut the tip of his middle finger and allowed a drop of his blood to fall onto the mirror. He closed his eyes with thoughts of his mother and father.
He opened his eyes to see his mother and a man with messy black hair, hazel eyes and glasses smiling back at him. "Hello mother, father."
"Harrison." His mother smiled, tearing running down her face.
"You have grown so well my son." His father' eyes held a proud glint and a wide smile shown on his face.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
I hope you all have a good day and Blessed Samhain.