"6 & Davidson Series" (True) Life Stories Pt8 "CRAZY LAURA"By; Roberto Dilemma

Once upon a time, back in the day.....

    Slickster was living in an upper flat with a room mate called Hard Ball. I had just arrived from California. Hard Ball was gone somewhere. Slick told me he was going to see his girlfriend, Bernadette. He had it bad for that girl. She was a nurse. Slick had a "Thang" for nurses at that time. He was still young blood, and he thought he was in love. He was telling me to kick back, make myself at home....There's a knock on the door.

    In comes this nerdy looking young woman. Glasses, black dress, white shirt, black sweater. Little gold cross on a chain around her neck. She introduces herself as Laura.  She says she works as a librarian. I notice she's carrying a small stack of records. (My intro to "Punk Rock")

    Slickster tells me he met this young woman at a park. A park where we used to go to get buzz materials....We often sampled what we acquired, then sit and play guitars. He also told me on the sly, he never, Tagged It".  He reminded Laura he told her he had a girlfriend. He said, "I gotta go see Bernadette, your welcome to hang out and talk with my brother if you like".

    What happen next is cool as the breeze.

    Laura goes into the bathroom to change. Like some kind of super hero, there was a transformation.  Out of the bathroom steps this hot-ass punk rock chick. She's wearing a mini dress faded teal with wide orange stripes. Her make up is perfect baby/tramp/nerd....she now has contacts in. She let her hair down and it was quite lovely.

   I'm sitting in a chair at the kitchen table. She comes over and sits on my lap. Everything she said and done I needed right then. She made my sex alive. I didn't care for being second choice, but I had a good time making her glade to be a woman, with me- at that time. When I checked out the bedroom, there were two twin beds. I pushed them together, we stayed away from the middle- as not to get swallowed by the crack. The steamy details of the "Un-holy Event" need not be dug into....that's not the story.

    I clue Slick as to what went down. He plays it off like he don't care. I can tell it bugs him in some way. I make a mental note not to have sex with Laura again. I didn't quite understand it. I thought maybe he was going to keep her as some kind of spare. I don't know. She was a very cool girl, but anyone with a half of brain could tell she'd never be true to one guy. That didn't bother me. I figured we'd be friends. Slick carried on his obsession with his Blond, Italian, nurse girlfriend.

    I had a little coin saved. I had a plan. I was going to rent this big old farmhouse built in 1890. It was in Detroit. On a side street across from where they make, "Better Made" potato chips. Down the street was the Faygo Soda Pop Factory. You could tell what flavor of Pop they were making from the smell in the air. The smell of potato chips cooking was also around quite often. A crazy place to be if a person was hungry. With out a doubt, Detroit was a more rural place in 1890. That house was probably part of a small farm. It had bushes we let get high all around the yard. A big Mountain Ash tree shading the front porch. Through the years someone went NUTS with roses. The yard was full of beautiful rose bushes.  Really a beautiful place. We had a bar-B-Q on the front porch. A big old round red Weber. We cooked on that thing year around.

    We needed this house because it was my brother's and my plan to form a rock and roll band. Which we done. We were having fun with this. Playing seedy little dives around Detroit. Honing our chops.

   We knew a few different Laura's. To tell them apart we gave them nick names. This Laura was now known as Crazy Laura. Where she lived, in relation to where we lived...was quite a distance. Many miles through nasty ghetto shit. Never-the-less....she came to visit pretty often. Rick usually ducked out when she came by. Once she came by and went up stairs. Slickster made a comment on a "Reaper" jam that was playing on the radio...Then looked at the stairs where Laura went and said, "Go for it"... He was drunk on his ass. I wasn't. I don't know where he went. I didn't, "Go For It". The mother fucker put some mental block in my brain. Plus there was that mental note I had posted..........and the fact that I was her second choice. Like, "If Slickster doesn't wanna love me up, you can". Something about that I don't like. Slick hadn't tagged it. He should have. He was still hanging on to his Nurse. He didn't even bring her around. We were too weird.