Just the way things are

When Alison got back to her own cottage that evening, she found herself explaining the reason why she was late back, telling her Grandmother all about what had happened. Starting with Mickey, and how he had approached her outside the bakery on her way home,

Then she give her a much shorten version of Paul's account of what had occurred in his marriage, and his life.

"I knew Paul was beating himself up about something, I just never realised how bad it was." Alison then frowned

"That young man has obviously a lot to sort out, from what you have told me," Her Grandmother agreed, then sighed, " It just shows you, They think living the high life is great, having all that fame and fortune. But it doesn't necessarily bring you happiness; by the sounds of it, it does the opposite" she finished dryly

"Hmm, I think Paul is starting to realise that himself now," Alison agreed looking thoughtful, " and I think he has a lot of regrets for things he has done in the past, and just wants to try and put things right, if he is given a chance."

"Well I suppose it's a good thing he has come to his senses. He is still young, and he can turn it around if he chooses," her Grandmother replied

"Yes," Alison nodded, then frowned again, "I just hope Mickey doesn't try to stir trouble for Paul, the poor guy has enough on his plate, without him going around spreading that the half baked truth in that newspaper, and having people believing it," she then said in annoyance.

Alison shook her head with a look of determination, "Well I am going to put him straight when I see him again, he had no right asking Gabe for that newspaper in the first place, then trying to turn me against Paul because of his stupid petty jealousy,"

Mary eyed her Grand daughter speculatively for a moment before replying, " Look, don't be too hard on Mickey," she suggested gently, "I am sure he didn't mean to cause trouble. He was just trying to look out for you, because he cares about you He probably thought he was protecting you from getting hurt. I am guessing he was just worried about you, that's all"

"Maybe," Alison relented grudgingly, "Though I am quite capable of looking after myself. I honestly don't know what he was worrying about. Just because I befriended Paul, doesn't mean I am going to something crazy, like run off with him or something," said, then turning her brown eyes on her Grandmother hoping she would understand,

"It's just I could see the poor man was going through some sort of personal crisis in his life, and I thought he needed a friend. Y'know, to let him feel like he was not all alone in the world; surely there is nothing wrong with that?"

"No, there isn't," Her Grandmother reluctantly admitted with a smile, " But then you were always the sort to take the bruised and broken and the strays, under your wing, and to try to help them; be it some injured creature, or a person. Your biggest fault is that you care too much at times."

"Well I can't help it, it's just the way I am." Alison stated with a sigh

"I guess so," her grandmother agreed, "Then again, I guess I can think of worse faults with people in the world, so I wouldn't have you any other way,"  she added warmly, patting Alison on the hand.

Alison smiled, "And, I am giving you all the credit for bringing me up that way," she then told her happily, giving her Grandmother a hug in return.

.

********************************************

Paul was a mixture of emotions after telling Alison all about the mess of his marriage and the consequences resulting from it. Though it had lifted the burden of his shoulders a little, it had surprised him how much he wanted her not to dislike him either for it.