Comfort and solace

Harvey was shocked and sympathetic when he learned about Alison's grandmothers death from Paul.

He even understood why Paul insisted he wanted to stay a little longer to make sure Alison was alright. But at the same time he told him he could only let him stay for at another week then he would have to get back to London.

Paul found had no other choice to agree. He consoled himself, that at least he could be there for Alison, in what would probably be the hardest week of her life.

He found he was worrying about her, and how she was coping so he didn't get much sleep that night.

The following day he went out of his way to find out what time the ferry came into the Island, he drove down in his car to the harbour, anxiously waiting for her and Teresa to arrive back. He wanted to be there for her, to find out how she was doing.

When the ferry arrived and finally docked, Paul got out of the car to look out for them as the passengers finally started to stream out. There were not that many, so it wasn't long before he recognised the two familiar figures of Teresa and Alison.

He felt his gut wrench at the sight of Alison when she got closer. She looked so pale and drawn, and a little dazed as if she didn't really seem to be aware of anything around her; which was probably understandable under the circumstances.

He now moved to meet them, when her brown eyes caught sight of him, they registered slight bewilderment, "Paul, what are you doing here?"

"I've been waiting for you," he told her, the concern and sympathy in his blue eyes evident, " I thought you might need a lift home, after all that's happened"

"Oh," Alison replied, "thank you, that is very kind; though you didn't have to," she managed a small brave smile but she still looked so fragile, his heart went out to her.

"Yes I did," he told her, then he pulled her into his arms, giving her a comforting hug, "I just want to say I am so sorry about your Grandmother, I know how hard this must be for you right now. But I wanted to be here for you; just the way you were there for me when I was at my lowest point. It's the least I can do." he then informed her earnestly.

She clung to him for a moment, finding the warm physical contact with him, was something she suddenly needed. "I still just can't believe she is gone." she replied in a strained voice that was just audible to his ears, making him hug her tighter, wishing he could take her pain away. "I know, I'm so sorry," was all he could say again

She pulled away from him a little, he felt the shudder go through her body as she attempted to gather herself together again.

"I will be ok," she tried to reassure him

He just smiled and nodded encouragingly, then with his arm around her still, he led her over to the car. Teresa followed behind them, getting into the back passenger seat with Alison. During the short journey back to the cottage Alison didn't say anything just staring unseeingly out the car window at the passing scenery, lost in her own thoughts.

When they reached the cottage, Teresa decided it would be best if she went in ahead of Alison, who found herself now hanging back, hesitating about going through the front door, as the terrible memories of the night before invaded her brain.

Paul was right beside her again, grabbing her hand and gently squeezing it, to let her know she did not have to do this alone. She turned and shot him a small grateful smile

For being so supportive, "I never thanked you for being there for me last night as well" she then realised, "I don't know how I could have managed without you and Teresa"