The worst possible timing

Since he had informed her he was leaving, Paul wasn't in the least surprised Alison had decided to suddenly stop calling on him over the next few days.

She was obviously avoiding him, but he could understand her reasons in doing so. It was probably better this way. After all she would have to start and get used to him not being around anyway, so it was probably better it was sooner rather than later.

He consoled himself that she would be alright, and get over it eventually, with her family and friends around to help her.

To take his own mind of it, he kept himself occupied with the task of sorting things out for his return.

He had managed to book a place on the Ferry for Saturday afternoon. Then he had been in touch with Harvey and his solicitor, as well as his family to let them know he would be returning soon.

And as he lay back in bed a few nights later, he tried hard to concentrate and think about his future back in London, and all he was planning on doing, but his thoughts always ended up lingering back to Alison, wondering what she was thinking or doing, or if she was coping alright.

He decided he would have to see to her one way or the other before he finally left on Saturday. Deep down he just knew he wouldn't be content. if he left without talking to her again.

So he waited, and looked out for her through the window, knowing she would be returning from work and would probably pass the cottage on her bike as usual.

Before she had a habit of dropping in, but now he caught sight of her, he noticed her bike did seem to slow down, and although she glanced towards the cottage, she did not stop completely, and seem to pick up speed again as she was going by the gate, only by that time Paul was out the front door calling out to her

"Ali, wait!"

She seemed reluctant to slow down again, but catching sight of him coming down the short path, she brought herself to a halt.

"Hey," she managed a small smile as he opened the gate and approached her.

In the growing darkness it was hard to read her expression.

"Can you spare me ten minutes," he queried, "Only I wanted to see you again before I leave"

"Sure," she replied, "I am sorry I haven't called in, only I thought you would have a lot to do with going back to England, and I didn't want to disturb you, or be in the way" she then said, seeming unable to look him in the eye.

"You could never be in the way," Paul replied, "I just wish things could be different, that's all, and we could still go on seeing each other," he then said

"Yes," Alison agreed, " Though, trouble is we don't always get what we wish for," she pointed out in her usual sensible and practical manner, "So no good dwelling on it eh?"

"I guess not," Paul sighed, finding he had no other choice but go along with what she was saying. knowing it would only pull the mood between them right down again.

"So when do you leave exactly?" she then asked

"Saturday afternoon," he replied uneasily

"And have you got everything sorted out for going back?" she enquired, her tone almost neutral, as if he was no more than a casual acquaintance whom she was showing a polite interest in.

He realised she had probably put up this guard around him, in an attempt to protect herself

As frustrating as he found it, he let it go, knowing it was her way with dealing with it.