No easy goodbye's

Paul knew he was being ridiculous fretting about having to tell Alison about his eminent departure.

After all, they had known his stay here at Harvey's cottage was only a temporary thing and he would be leaving probably sooner, rather than later.

But he had never realised how engrossed he had become in his new surroundings for that short stay, until he was now faced with the prospect having to leave and return to England.

He tried to be sensible, and rationalising it had really been no different than any short holiday break he had taken.

It had turned out to be an enjoyable experience he had not really expected. Yes, a lot of good had come out of it, but like all holidays, it was time to go home and back to his real life.

The truth was, he didn't even belong here.

So he would return to London far more refreshed than when he had left, and with some good memories of his time here. But it was time to bid it, and the people here a fond farewell.

Yet when Alison called in the following day, asking him if he needed his laundry done, all these rational thoughts went straight out of his head.

Instead he felt like he had been inwardly kicked in the gut as he knew he couldn't put it off any longer . It was much better she knew sooner than later, that he would more than likely be gone within the week.

"Well actually, you don't have to worry about washing my stuff, there is no need," he informed her feeling a slight tightness in his throat as he stood with his hands deep in his trouser pockets, finding it hard to look her in the eyes as she now stared at him enquiringly.

He tried to sound upbeat as he replied, I got a phone call from Harv, last night, it seems he and my solicitor have finally manage to sort out one of the main big problems with Holly and the Divorce, so I don't think there is going to be anymore trouble from her."

Alison immediately looked delighted for him, "Oh good! I am so glad to hear that. I knew it would sort itself out. Now you can relax and not have that worry hanging over you all the time, you must be so glad?"

"Yeah, I am," Paul smiled before continuing as casually as he could, "anyway, it means I have to get back to London, Harv reminded me that they will be starting to film the latest series of my show in a few weeks time. So things are going to be pretty hectic." He now dared himself to meet her gaze straight on, to study her reaction.

He noticed her smile seem to falter slightly as she finally grasped what he was trying to tell her.

"I see," she replied, "So I guess that means you will be leaving here pretty soon?" she managed to ask

"Yeah more likely at the weekend." he answered soberly, "I just have to check the ferry times. So you see, I don't think its worth your while doing any more of my laundry. I can easily shove it in my washing machine when I get home. Anyway it will finally give you a break from running around after me." He then pointed out in a tone that tried to keep the whole thing light hearted.

She laughed, but it sounded a little hollow, "Of course," she seem to brighten up again as she continued

"Anyway its all good I suppose. Things are going your way, and you can get back to your life without all that hassle hanging over you." she smiled bravely, "I am really glad things turned out this way for you, 'alls well that ends well,' and all that"

He knew she meant every word of it, which made her even more endearing in his eyes. But still it didn't make him feel any better for breaking the news to her..

"Yes I guess so," was his only reply, then paused before deciding to impulsively continue, "But I just want you to know, that in short time I have spent here, it has made me realise I want to make a lot of changes to my life as well. And some of those changes are due to my friendship with you, and what I have learned over these past few weeks. You are a special girl Ali, and I treasure our friendship.