EPISODE 3

We open to the sounds of Gongjin: seagulls, Chun-jae’s guitar, people greeting one another, a bell on Gam-ri’s porch, fish frying, and so on. Meanwhile, Hye-jin’s sound is her running to the door to receive a package. As she opens the door to Doo-shik, we flash back to the other day, when she had found him at his fishing spot and slipped while trying to climb the rocks, and he’d caught her in his arms.

Now, she acts shy as she accepts the package and learns that he’s filling in for the regular deliveryman, who has a broken arm. When she asks if she needs to sign for the package, he says her face is signature enough, since it’s a rare sight in Gongjin. Whether that’s an insult or a compliment is up to her interpretation. She counters that his face is as common as gum stuck to the street in Seoul or fresh-caught squid in the Gongjin harbor, but he doesn’t give her the satisfaction of a reaction.

Hye-jin tries on the clothes she ordered, telling Mi-sun that they’re armor she’ll wear into battle

Hye-jin tries on the clothes she ordered, telling Mi-sun that they’re armor she’ll wear into battle. A fellow dentist is getting married, and she knows all of her former classmates will be there gossiping about her small-town clinic. She worries that this outfit won’t be good enough to impress them, and next thing we know, packages are pouring in.

Doo-shik, who has to deliver all these packages, goes from calling her name at the door to singing it shouting in annoyance. And no wonder, as he goes from carrying one or two boxes at a time to a whole mountain that’s almost as tall as he is. When he finally asks what on earth she’s buying – and then why she needs so many clothes – she says a “fashion terrorist” like himself would never understand. He protests that clothes are supposed to be about functionality, wondering aloud how she’ll manage to save up enough to go back to Seoul. Hye-jin snaps that she’s actually going to Seoul this very Sunday, making his face light up in sudden interest.

The morning of the wedding, Hye-jin gets ready nervously. As she heads out the door, she pauses to apologize to her lonely shoe for losing its other half in the ocean. To her surprise, Doo-shik is standing outside her door again, looking all dapper in a dress shirt. They trade exclamations over how different the other looks. She says she’s not expecting any packages today, but he’s here to ask a favor instead, and motions to the three grannies behind him. Since they all have errands in Seoul, he figured they could carpool with her. Hye-jin holds out her hand to stop him, annoyed that he didn’t even ask ahead of time, but he just cheerily high-fives her and says, “Let’s go!”