EPISODE 5

Hye-jin wakes up on a mattress on Doo-shik’s floor… right next to a sleeping Doo-shik. She appears to have rolled off the bed during the night, but that doesn’t make her feel any better about it. She quickly jumps up, grabs her purse, and tiptoes out the door, unknowingly leaving her umbrella behind.

 She quickly jumps up, grabs her purse, and tiptoes out the door, unknowingly leaving her umbrella behind

Nam-sook happens by as Hye-jin leaves the house, and an enormous grin spreads over her face. She whips out her phone and texts everyone in the village. By the time Hye-jin gets back home, the news has spread so much that Mi-sun meets her at the door, asking, “You slept with Doo-shik?” Hye-jin sinks to the floor, mortified.

Doo-shik wakes sometime later and finds Hye-jin’s umbrella. He smiles and starts cooking breakfast, but realizes he’s out of tofu.

As Hye-jin nurses a headache, memories from last night start to come back: namely, calling Doo-shik “oppa” while dancing drunkenly around the village. But she can’t remember how they went from walking around outside after dark to sleeping back at his place. She considers taking the day off, but Mi-sun reminds her of her credit card bill. Then she rushes to the bathroom with a stomachache, leaving Hye-jin to brave the village alone.

Hye-jin tries to ignore the cluster of villagers who have gathered in the street to gossip about her. But Doo-shik appears right then and loudly complains about her shirking dishes duty and drinking his ginseng wine. Hye-jin suggests grabbing breakfast, hoping to get away from the villagers (who are not doing a very good job of pretending they aren’t listening intently). They relocate to a nearby restaurant, where the spectators plaster themselves to a sliding glass door.

Hye-jin has to explain to Doo-shik why they’re being gawked at, making him sigh in frustration

Hye-jin has to explain to Doo-shik why they’re being gawked at, making him sigh in frustration. She gulps and asks if anything happened last night, so he recounts her entire cringey drunken spectacle. He also says she was the one who wanted to drink more, which is why they went back to his place and drank the ginseng wine. Spotting a drop of soup on her lips, he holds out a tissue (the onlookers jump excitedly), and Hye-jin quickly grabs it from him, certain he’s just ruined her attempt at dispelling rumors.

But outside, the villagers turn away from the door, suddenly unsure of any chemistry between the couple. They even liken Doo-shik wiping Hye-jin’s lips to a father caring for his daughter. Hwa-jung scolds them for gossiping, and they all disperse, disappointed but not entirely discouraged. Nam-sook creates a new group chat without Hwa-jung (but including Mi-sun) and invites the group over to her store, where they argue over whether Hye-jin is good enough for Doo-shik.