EPISODE 10

Hye-jin wraps up her call with Sung-hyun, but is distracted by the now-working streetlight near her home. As she smiles at it, Sung-hyun has to recapture her attention. She promises to treat him to a meal when he’s back in Gongjin before hanging up.

She walks into her house but the door doesn’t shut properly–and a man in black sneaks in

She walks into her house but the door doesn’t shut properly–and a man in black sneaks in. Hye-jin gasps as she realizes there’s an intruder, but she does her best to confront him while trying to surreptitiously call for help. The man catches on to what she’s doing, and throws a book at her, hard. When she drops her phone, the man advances on her with a knife in hand. He pauses when he hears the door keypad beeping and goes to investigate. Doo-shik is lying in wait. With a murderous look in his eyes, Doo-shik informs him that “It’s a great night to catch a sick pervert.” He punches and stuns the man (but doesn’t take his knife!) and rushes to check on Hye-jin.

She’s terrified, but not hurt. Seeing that she’s okay, Doo-shik calls the police. But the intruder is back on his feet and charges Hye-jin with the knife. Doo-shik jumps in front of her just in time and stumbles forward as the knife slashes his shoulder. The intruder and Doo-shik struggle with each other and both roll to the floor. Just as it seems like Doo-shik might lose the fight, Hye-jin intervenes with a kick to the intruder’s head. Doo-shik follows with a swift kick of his own and is able to subdue the man entirely. The battle over, Hye-jin starts to hyperventilate and faints.

A crowd watches the police take the intruder away, and Sung-hyun arrives just in time to see the police car pull away. At the hospital, the doctor gives Doo-shik and Hye-jin some good news: the knife didn’t cause any nerve damage. When the doctor gives them some space, Hye-jin asks Doo-shik if his shoulder hurts. Affronted by the question, he replies that even paper cuts hurt, so of course anything caused by a giant knife would hurt all the more.

Hye-jin tells him not to exaggerate, and he smiles faintly. He laughs and says that he expected her to still be in shock, but her doctor’s instincts have clearly kicked in and calmed her down.

Doo-shik then spies a bruise on Hye-jin’s arm and goes into protective mode and asks how bad it hurts and why didn’t she tell the doctor? She insists that his injury was much worse, but suddenly breaks down sobbing. Doo-shik gently asks why she’s crying.

Through tears, Hye-jin tells him that she was so scared when he jumped at the intruder. He responds that he was afraid she would get hurt. Hye-jin is wiping her tears away as Sung-hyun pulls the hospital curtain aside and he clocks their closeness.