24

Mark glanced over his shoulder whilst he walked along the deck to take Alicia inside, into the warmth.

She was still there, turned in the opposite direction from them. She knew they were there, but she was ignoring them. Mark sighed discreetly and kissed his daughter. "There's a falling star," he said, pointing out to the sky. Alicia's head followed his fingers direction instantly.

"Wow!" she squealed, delighted. With that, Mark managed to keep her attention focused on one thing only.

"Make a wish," he said.

"Really? Can I?" she asked him excitedly.

"Sure you can," Mark winked.

"Hmm," Alicia put a finger under her chin and became thoughtful.

In that moment, Mark heard his phone fall out of his jacket pocket.

"Done!" Alicia announced, almost making her father jump.

"Great," he laughed.

Mark put Alicia down, stepping in front of her to shield her from any unwanted meetings. He crouched down and picked up his phone, tossing it back into his pocket.

"I want to see another one," Alicia said before starting to spin around, watching the sky.

"It's cold outside so we have to go inside," Mark told her, tucking the jacket around him.

"I am not cold," Alicia whimpered.

"Seconds ago you were, so let's not argue," Mark said. "Come," he held out his hand for her.

"No," Alicia whimpered, hiding her hands behind her back. "I want to see another falling star."

"Al," Mark tried to keep his voice calm.

"Catch me," Alicia said and suddenly she took off running.

Mark didn't follow her. He knew she was going to see her as Alicia was running towards her.

"Catch me, Daddy!" Alicia shouted cheerfully as she continued to run. Then she tripped and landed on her knees and hands. "Ouch," she muttered.

Mark still didn't go after her. He watched how Meredith turned and hurried to Alicia.

"Are you alright?" she asked the girl, kneeling down beside her.

"Meri!" Alicia squealed. She stood up quickly and threw her arms around her neck. "My Meri!"

Meredith hugged her and couldn't help but giggle.

"I made a wish," Alicia took a step back to look up at Meredith.

"You did?" Meredith smiled, trying to sound impressed.

"Uh-huh," Alicia nodded, smiling widely. "And it came true."

"It did?" Meredith laughed, with the same fake impressed voice.

"Yes," Alicia giggled. "I wished that all the patients would get well and you would come and sleep with me tonight."

Meredith smiled as she caressed her cheek. She hadn't planned on meeting them on the ferry at this hour, but apparently, Alicia had made a wish that had come true.

Meredith looked over Alicia's shoulder and saw Mark glaring out over the water. She knew what he was thinking and he was right. It seemed easier to back out when they were just the two of them, but now, with Alicia's sweet presence, that seemed impossible.

"Did you ask your father's permission to have me sleeping with you tonight?" Meredith asked her and looked up at Mark.

He glanced at her, there eyes met for a second, and then he looked away.