CHAPTER TEN (LOCKED OUT)

I pull a loaf of cinnamon bread out of the oven. Ms. Marcy wants me to get some new bread recipes for the holidays, so I'm trying a couple at home before I bring some for her to try.

I started to clean up the mess I made while baking when I hear a knock on the door.

I go to open it and see Clay on the other side, looking defeated. My heart skips a beat when I see him.

"Hey Clay! What's up?" I ask in my best casual voice possible.

"Heyy.." He leans against the door frame, "soo I totally locked myself out of my apartment like an idiot, and the locksmith won't get here for like an hour. Could I hang out here for a little while I wait?"

I open the door a little wider so he can fit. "Come on in."

"Thank you so much," he says as he walks through.

"I just tried a new bread recipe if you want to try it." I close the door and walk over to the (now cooled) bread pan.

"I would love to," he props himself up onto the stools I have on the other side of the counter.

I remove the loaf from the pan while Clay talks.

"I can't believe I locked myself out. Those new electric locks that automatically lock when you close the door will be the death of me. I can't believe I did that. It's so stupid." He holds the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

"Honestly, I've done worse. One time I was driving a friends dog to the park, because my friend was somewhere on vacation, anyways I stopped to grab a soda at a gas station. When I came out, the dog had locked the doors, and I didn't crack the windows enough to fit my hands through the crack. I felt really dumb." I laugh at myself as I glance over the loaf. It might be too soon to cut it, but I already offered. Hopefully it doesn't crumble.

"Dogs are smart, but cats are superior." Clay says with confidence.

"Do you have a cat?" I ask. I begin to cut a piece for him with a knife.

"I do. Her name is Patches." He smiles a little as I pass him the slice. "Thank you."

"Aw I love that." I say as I cut a piece of bread for myself.

"You'll have to meet her sometime when I'm not locked out of my apartment." he laughs a little at the irony.

"I look forward to it. I had a cat named Sparky when I was little, but he was old and raggedy. Like seventeen years."

"Damn that's really old for a cat," He takes a bite of the bread.

"Yeah it is. I still get to pet Dylan and stuff though, so I'm not too desperate for an animal." I say as I clean up a couple dishes around the kitchen, forgetting about my slice of bread.

"Animals are great. So is this bread, y/n." he says, "this is the best bread ever."

"Oh thank you," I say, my cheeks going a little warm from the compliment.

We continue to talk for an hour about anything and everything. We eventually sat on the couch for more comfort. After a while, he gets a call.

"Oh this is the locksmith. He must be here." He gets up to go to the door. "Thank you so much for letting me hang out. And for the bread. Ms. Marcy is going to love it."

"You can come over anytime. You're a really cool dude. And, uh, thank you." I blush a little.

He walks out the apartment to be met by a bald man, who I assume is the locksmith. I close the door to be left all alone with a million thoughts in my head, the most prominent one being that I really like Clay.

word count: 636