Chapter VIII

"Just as it was when you left." James opened his arms showing off their suite.

"It really does look the same." Y/N laughed.

"I'll send Miss Evers to retrieve your things from your room, dear." James stated.

"Oh, it would be so lovely to see her again. Maybe without a bullet hole through her brain this time." She answered.

"Yes... her wound healed nicely, as for myself..." He began.

Y/N turned around quickly and frowned, "James, what are you talking about?"

He sighed and glanced around the room. In one swift motion, he took off the ascot that sat beautifully around his neck. A large slash remained across his throat, it still looked quite fresh.

Y/N gasped and covered her mouth immediately. She slowly approached him and placed her hand gently on the side of his neck, next to the wound.

"I'm alright. Although, I can still remember the pain." He removed her hand from its place and held it in his.

"Why did you do it? You could've just gotten arrested and I could visit you." She shook her head.

"You could have visited me, Y/N. Here." He said plainly.

"I was traumatized James! I didn't want to stay here a minute more. Can't you understand that? I was woken up in the middle of the night by policemen storming this place and then I walked in on my husband dead!" She defended.

"I truly am sorry my love. I refused to be captured and you should not have seen that." He replied.

"So you did it? You killed those men?" She asked.

"Precisely." He admitted.

"Why?" Y/N asked.

He took a deep breath, "I was working on something. I was not able to finish it but I found a successor many years later. No need to worry upon that now. My work is complete." he assured.

Y/N raised her eyebrows being hit with a wave of realization, "the ten commandments..."

James cocked his head wondering how she knew.

"John Lowe, he was a killer in 2015. He was your successor?"

"How do you know this?" James questioned.

"It was all over the news and there were documentaries and Billie Dean Howard's special at the Cortez." She explained.

James covered his cocky smile with his hand.

"Where are they? The commandments?"

James smiled and held his hand out.

Y/N looked down cautiously and placed her hand in his cold palm.

He led her out of the room and to the floor below. He unlocked room 64 and gestured for her to enter. He closed the door softly behind her and approached the armoire.

He moved it aside and a steel door was revealed.

Y/N placed her hand on her forehead and her breathing picked up. "Oh god. This is the room."

James rubbed her upper arm to calm her. He opened the door and stepped in.

She followed him in and noticed the shelves of body parts.

"Behold, the ten commandments." James said proudly.

Y/N looked at each one carefully.

"Are you frightened little one?" He asked.

She shook her head, "no. You know what I've had to do to survive. I kill to live, this doesn't effect me."

James's eyes widened at her statement.

"I know you haven't forgotten."

"To hear you say it my dear, is different. Now, let us get back to our suite." He placed his hand on her lower back to guide her out of the room.

The two got back to their once-shared room and James poured a drink for each of them.

"You've heard of my accomplishments over these lost years, what have you been doing all this time my love?" James asked as he joined her on the sofa, handing her, her drink.

She took a sip of the brown liquor, "You'd be so proud of me! I got to be an actress!" She smiled widely.

"Splendid! That is wonderful Y/N, my heart is full." He returned the smile.

"I traveled to Europe to film many successful pictures! I got two awards as well." Her smile remained.

James set his hand over hers, "I am proud of you, dear. I'm glad you got to live a full life."

"James... I never married again. You were my one true love." She met his gaze.

His eyebrows pressed together and he stayed silent.

"I never stopped loving you James. I knew I could never love someone like that again."

James grabbed both sides of her face and kissed her passionately.

She placed her hand on the side of his face lovingly.

It felt like the night they met at the grand opening when they kissed for the first time.

They pulled back and pressed their foreheads together, savoring the moment.

"Stay Y/N. Live at the Cortez again, with me, forever." James proposed.

She paused for a moment and then nodded her head against his, "okay."

James smiled and kissed her forehead. "Join me for dinner tonight." He offered.

"Are you kidding? We can have dinner every night now silly." She laughed.

His smile never left his face and he threw back the last of his drink.