XXV

← · · · ♠ 𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐫 ♠· · · →

I didn't know what day it was. I didn't know what time it was. All I knew, is that I had been lying here for hours, pretending to sleep but being awake. The sun was slowly rising, and I saw the light peeking through the curtains. I believed we were in Houston, but honestly it could also be Washington. I didn't keep track. This tour had been a mess and for good reasons.

The girl that was sleeping next to me, didn't look like her at all. I did that on purpose. If they looked like her, then I would be reminded of her and I would say the wrong name. Not that I remembered names, because all I could think of was her. How she left me at the pub, breaking my heart into a thousand pieces.

I don't want to be with you, Roger.

Those words repeated themselves in my head over and over. I know I wasn't the brightest, but it still didn't make sense to me. Things had been good. None of us fucked up, and a day before I leave for tour she just breaks up with me. It didn't make sense, but I had stopped making sense of things a while ago.

I rubbed my face, deciding that it was best to just get up and do something with my life. I threw the sheets of my body and walked to the bathroom. Looking at myself in the reflection, I saw that the heavy bags under my eyes were unable to hide. I grabbed an advil, downing it with water. It was almost comical how I needed it to help with the pain.

The usual routine started. Showering, brushing my teeth and somewhat combing my hair out. I put on some clothes, and grabbed my pack of cigarettes, shoving it the back pocket of my jeans. The girl was still sleeping and I debated if I should leave a note. Whatever, she knew that she should leave when she woke up anyway. Grabbing my room key, I left the hotel room.

I passed a few of the maids, and they smiled at me. I had hung a note on my door, saying that they didn't need to come in. The mess I made was too big now anyways. I took the elevator down to the dining area. When I walked into breakfast, the rest was already sitting down.

"Look who decided to show up. Overslept?" Deaky joked. He tapped my shoulder lightly. His plate was full of beans and toast and eggs.

"Something like that," I answered. I poured myself a cup of tea and lit a cigarette. I wasn't hungry. Eating was the last thing that I thought about nowadays.

"Are you excited for the show tonight?" Freddie asked. He looked impeccable as always. Even he was in a bad mood, Freddie would never show it.

"Always. It's the best part of this tour," I said, trying to sound cheerful. I didn't know if they bought it, but they at least left me alone. Only Brian looked at me with worried eyes. It's because he was her brother, and he knew.

They started a conversation with each other. Freddie and Deaky wanted to walk around the city a little, learning some of its history. Brian would probably join them. They all looked at me, wondering what kind of plan I had. I took the last drag of my cigarette, pushing it out in the ashtray.

"I'm going to the nearest pub, and getting drink," I enlightened them. I stood up, walking out of the dining area and taking the stairs to the lobby.

The sun was shining bright when I stepped out of the hotel. It was hot already, and my long jeans didn't really help with this weather. I wasn't wearing a jacket, but already felt the sweat forming on my back. I randomly chose a direction to walk in, hoping it resulted in getting somewhere.

When I saw a phonebooth, my thoughts were answered. I stepped in, putting a coin in and dialling the same number I had yesterday, and every other day of the tour. It was the only thing that I tried to be consisted in. The line kept ringing, no one was picking up. I waited and waited, before the line went dead. No answer.