Prologue

"On the 12th hour of the first day of October in 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible."

He got seven of them. He would have gotten eight, but a married couple refused to sell their child.

Constanta, Romania

October 1, 1989

Serghei and Cristina Rosu were seated at the table, ready to eat dinner.

Cristina suddenly stood and watched as her stomach grew from flat to that of carrying a baby ready for delivery. She looked at her husband with wide eyes.

Though he wasn't completely certain what he was doing, it was as though instinct took over.

Serghei gripped the baby and gently pulled her out. He smiled and said, "Lubire, avem o fiica."

(Love, we have a daughter.)

Cristina stroked the little girl's head. "Bine ai venit draga."

(Welcome, darling.)

A knock sounded on the door and the couple exchanged a confused look.

Serghei opened the door to reveal a bespectacled man. "Va pot ajuta?"

(Can I help you?)

The man answered in Romanian, "Copilul. Cat vrei pe el?"

(The baby. How much do you want for it?)

Cristina stood and narrowed her eyes. "Adriana nu este de vânzare. E nu copil; u o tranzactie comerciala."

(Adriana is not for sale. She's a child; not a business transaction.)

The man nodded. "Foarte bine."

(Very well.)

He left and the couple stood with their newborn daughter as they stared at the door.