02

2019

Adriana left the dance studio and made her way back to the Umbrella Academy mansion.

As soon as she entered, she was greeted by a brunet man in a robe. "Hello. Who are you?"

Adriana frowned and asked in a thick accent, "Who are you?"

"My name is Klaus."

"Adriana. But I prefer Ana."

"How nice to meet you."

"And you."

She left to set her stuff down.

The family eventually gathered in the living room and Adriana decided to join them. She got some looks, but no one said anything. Until someone did.

Luther stood. "If we're all ready, I'd like to get started." He met Adriana's eyes. "Why are you here? You're not family."

Adriana's gaze darkened and she said, "Ei bine, nu esti dulce."

(Well aren't you sweet.)

"I have no idea what you just said."

"That was the point. I'm here because I decided to be. Why the long face?"

"Dad died."

"People die all the time."

"You're incredibly annoying. So, I figured we could hold the funeral at Dad's favorite spot."

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison asked with a frown.

Luther looked between his siblings and Adriana, confused at their expressions. "Yeah, you know, under the oak tree. We used to sit there all the time. You guys never did that?"

Klaus shook his head. "No, Luther. None of us ever got to have playtime with our dear old daddy. That was just you." He walked towards the couch, a glass of whisky in one hand and a joint in the other. He sat at the empty end of the couch, next to Adriana. "Will there be refreshments?" He turned back to Luther. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a favorite."

Luther shot him a look. "What? No. And put that out. You know Dad didn't allow smoking in here."

Allison frowned, seeing Klaus' outfit. "Is that my skirt?"

Klaus looked down at the skirt. "What? Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathy on the bits." He gestured to his crotch.

A small smile crept onto Adriana's lips. She could already tell Klaus would be her favorite of the siblings.

Luther changed the subject, bringing their focus back. "Listen up. We still have some important things that we need to discuss, all right?"

"Like what?" Diego asked gruffly.

"Like the way he died."

"And here we go."

Vanya frowned. "I-I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack."

Luther nodded. "Yeah, according to the coroner."

"Well, wouldn't they know?" Vanya asked.

"Theoretically."

"Theoretically?" Allison repeated.

Luther quickly became defensive. "Look, I'm just saying that at the very least, something strange happened. The last time I talked to Dad, he sounded strange."

Klaus shifted slightly, taking a sip of his alcohol and gargled. "Oh. Quelle surprise."

Diego eyed Luther suspiciously. "Strange how?"