First Love

1692

Life in Salem wasn't all bad. Too avoid suspicion, my aunts had me go to school and live life as normally as I could.
Winifred fell in love with my school teacher Billy Butcherson; that was the first time in years that I had seen her genuinely smile and be happy.
However, her happiness soon diminished when she caught Billy with my aunt Sarah. Winifred was soon overcome by anger that she killed him with poison and sewed his mouth shut with a dull needle so that he couldn't tell her secrets even in death.

I had a love of my own, Thackery Binx. He was the son of the governor of our settlement. Thackery lived with his parents and little sister, Emily. We met in school and I instantly found him attractive and I wanted to get to know him better.
He was the kindest and most gentleman I've ever known.
The moment I realized he was the one was when I confessed to him that I was a witch. We were having a picnic in a field away from the settlement so that we could spend time alone.
We were laying side by side on the picnic blanket looking at the stars.
"Thackery Binx, dost thou love me?" I asked sincerely.
He leaned in and kissed me softly, "Of course I love thee, forever and ever."
"Then I can trust you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell thee?" my heart was beating in anticipation of the conversation I had been dreading since our relationship began.
"Is something wrong?" he inquired with concern. "Aye," I said with a shaky voice. If he were to turn me in to the governor I would be facing the hangman's noose.
"What is it?"
"I'm sure thou knowest my aunts are witches, the Sanderson Sisters." I began hesitantly.
"Yes," he replied.
"Well, since I'm part of their bloodline, that makes me a witch as well." Tears slid down my cheeks. "I couldn't lie to you Thackery."
He looked puzzled, like he didn't know what to say.
"Dost thou conjure evil?" he asked.
"Nay, I would never do such deeds. I have been practicing the light side of magic to rise up against those hags," I assured him.
"Then thou art safe, you are good and pure," he kissed me.
I gratefully kissed him back, and gazed at him lovingly. "Thank thee," this time I initiated the kiss.

To show him that I was practicing light magic, I made a beam of light appear in my hand and then I made it into a star.
"Only light witches can conjure things like this," I explained. I closed my hand and made a flower appear in my hand.
"My aunts can't do anything like this, because they're too far gone into the dark," "The best they could conjure up is spiders and other horrible creatures."
I made a white crystal appear in his hand, and he was in awe. "What's this?"
"It's a gift to express my gratitude and a token of my love for thee." I told him.
"Thank thee, my love." He smiled his adorable smile.

  I was happy he was so accepting of me. We would do all we could to protect each other, but that wouldn't go well.
Tragedy would soon occur.