THIRTY-FOUR

Carly made her way inside her AP Chem class. She saw a familiar face sitting at her lab bench. She smiled and walked to the boy.

"Long time no see EJ." Carly said, setting her bag down.

"Hey Carls." EJ side hugs the girl. "How you been?"

"You're asking me how I've been when I haven't even seen you in like forever."

EJ chuckled. "Yeah just been busy. Didn't realize doing two sports would take up that much out of my life."

"Yeah especially since it's in the same season." 

"Yeah I'm an idiot. So what's new?" EJ agreed. 

"Paxton and I kissed." The girl suddenly blurred out.

"Oh." EJ said, not expecting to hear that.

"Shit sorry. I shouldn't have said that it was totally random and..."

"It's fine Carls." EJ said, trying to reassure the girl. "Did you like it?"

"The kiss?" EJ nodded causing Carly to sigh. "I didn't kiss back."

"Oh?"

"I know I'm an idiot but in my defense, I was taken off guard and I wasn't expecting it."

EJ nodded. "Ok. What happened after?"

"I ran out. Didn't get far until he gave me a ride home which was awkward as fuck."

"Did you want to kiss him back?"

"Honestly I did. But I'm scared EJ." Carly admitted. "If I let him in again, I'm scared he'll cheat on me again. Our relationship was doomed from the start."

"Maybe he's changed?"

"There's only so much someone could change in a few months."

EJ nodded, trying not to tell the girl how Paxton actually felt because the boy had told him a lot about Carly and he promised not to tell anyone. "You never know Carly. Sometimes it takes something big like that, like losing someone momentiality to realize how important they are to them. Maybe after the break up and everything between you two, he realized he needs you in his life whether it's as a friend or girlfriend, whatever." Carly sighed causing the boy to put his hand over hers. "Just talk to him."