Ch 31:The Aftermath of it all

RECAP

"Don't wait for me. Cuz I'm not ever coming back"

"Only time will tell"

End of recap

RYAN'S POV

I left her. I chose to give up the one real thing I've ever felt. And I hurt her. How am I supposed to live with that? When our eyes meet again, what will I say to her? What if all she has in her heart for me is reduced to hatred? What if the closest I'll ever get to her now is to see her from afar?

"Whatcha doing out here? Get back in" says Harvey.

"I'm going to our place"

"But we were supposed to stay here tonight"

"I can't" I say, unable to hide the moisture in my eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"They know. She knows"

"About what?"

"About Maple St."

"How?!"

"Nick and Keiran got kidnapped by the one who escaped. And he held them captive at the same place in Maple St. The exact place where I... tortured that man to death"

"Fuck. Are they alright?"

"Yeah"

"But why are you leaving? I'm sure 'brina wouldn't break up with you"

"You're right. She didn't. I did"

"Tell me you're kidding"

"No. That's what I've been saying to everyone all day. That I'm not fucking kidding"

"You shouldn't have, Ry. I can't even imagine what she must be going through. But why did you break up when she didn't want to?"

"She flinched when I brought my hand close to her face"

"That's called a reflex, Ryan. Look it up"

"No it wasn't. She admitted it. She was scared, Harvey. She thought I would hurt her"

"Well what else do you expect from someone who just heard the stuff you did?! To embrace you lovingly in their arms?! I think that's a bit unrealistic, don't you?"

"But she did. She hugged me when I let it all out"

"And look what you did. You broke her heart, Ry. You hurt her more than Jace ever did. He might have caused her physical pain but the pain you inflicted on her is way worse than what she's ever felt before. She never loved Jace. So it never completely broke her. But that girl cares for you like there's no tomorrow. Despite knowing it all too well, you went ahead and did the one thing that would make her crumble. You remember how proud of herself she was at the court that day?! She believes it was you who gave her the courage to fight, the courage to get out there and take what's hers. And look at you now, running like a coward. Out of all the people who've ever hurt her, you did the worst damage, Ryan. You know why?! Cuz you showed her love and affection at one moment and then threw her like a crumbled up piece of paper in the next"

"I know what I did. But it was for her"

"How was it for her, Ry?!"

"Think about it. She's been in that kind of a phase before, living in constant fear of being hurt by the one she trusted. I swear on my life that I'd never raise a fucking hand on her. But she'll never be the same, knowing what I've done"

"You can't say that without giving her a chance"

"I don't wanna do something I'll regret"

"She wouldn't want to let go of you and you know that. What she wants is not your decision to make"