15 | number four

"Alright guys, let's get down to business!" Will said as Glee rehearsal began

"Alright guys, let's get down to business!" Will said as Glee rehearsal began. "First, let's welcome back Noah Puckerman."

Dan cheered loudly for her friend, who had spent the last month in juvy. She was just glad to have him back.

"Puck, I hope your time in juvy has taught you a lesson or two about right and wrong," Will told Puck.

"Are you kidding me?" he asked, scoffing. "I ruled that place. All I did was crack skulls and lift weights all day."

"Oh, what a catch, can't believe I ever let you go," Quinn said sarcastically.

"And now, drumroll, Finn!" Will instructed, and the boy followed. "Because I have in my hand our competition for Sectionals next month. First, the acapella group from the all-boys private school in Westerville, the Dalton Academy Warblers."

"Okay, hold up," Santana said, smirking. "Like a million awesome gay jokes just popped into my head."

"Watch it, Tana," Dan said, rolling her eyes. Kurt smiled appreciatively at her.

"And the other team to beat, the Hipsters. A first-year club from the Ware Township Continuing Education Program. Now, they are a glee club composed entirely of elderly people getting their high school GEDs."

"Is that legal?" Rachel asked, frowning.

"How are we supposed to compete against a bunch of adorable old people?" Mercedes asked, not finding it very fair.

"Are you kidding? Brittle bones. Give one of those old ladies a good luck pat on the rear, it'll shatter her pelvis," Puck said, not seeing the old people as a threat.

"I hate old people," Dan muttered. "They're wrinkly and smell weird and are usually racist."

"Moving on," Will said, not wanting to get any more off focus. "Since this seems to get you guys jazzed about Sectionals last year, I wanna make this week our second annual boys versus girls tournament. So, split up into two groups, and, uh, figure out which songs you're gonna sing."

Rachel wasted no time in taking charge as all the girls joined her. "Okay, I have mash-up ideas in my emergency mash-up—"

"Kurt, gonna say it again. Boys team," Will said. He didn't even need to turn his back to know that Kurt had gone to the girls' side.

Dan shot her brother an apologetic look as he trudged over to the boys. She knew how much he hated doing their macho numbers.

She pulled her chair next to Tina, and they listened as Rachel droned on. A minute in, Dan's buzzed, and a picture of Jesse smooshing his face against Dan's popped on screen. Dan quickly declined the call and put her phone in her backpack.

"You always pick up his calls during rehearsal," Tina said, whispering.

"He just knows I'm busy," Dan said, forcing a smile. "I'll call him back later."