18 | solo

"New Directions, I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant — Jesse St

"New Directions, I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant — Jesse St. James."

Rachel was the only one to clap vigorously for Jesse's arrival. Dan sunk lower in her chair like a child did when their parents did something embarrassing.

Dan loved Jesse, she did. With her whole heart. But she also couldn't believe he actually started the show choir consultant business and Mr. Schuester hired him. Not only did most of the club hate him, but Vocal Adrenaline and New Directions had very different rehearsal styles and personalities.

"I don't trust this guy," Finn muttered, crossing his arms. "He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid so his alma mater wins."

"I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn," Jesse shot back.

Dan snickered quietly, but Finn still heard. He kicked the legs of her chair, and then she kicked his. They continued to pick on each other until Mr. Schuester put a stop to it.

"Dan, Finn, you're not twelve. Cut it out," Will said, sighing. "Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because this is it. We've been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

"Rachel and I should sing a duet," Finn immediately suggested. "We killed it last year at regionals with Faithfully."

"Yeah. It killed us. We lost," Quinn muttered.

"Probably would've won if Dan had sung it like she was meant to," Santana stated. "But Baby Daddy over there broke her heart."

"You don't know how good it feels to hear someone being called Baby Daddy, and it not be meant for me," Puck said under his breath.

"May I?" Jesse interrupted.

"Uh, yeah," Will told him.

"I agree that Dan should sing lead," Jesse said, his eyes on Dan. Rachel's smile fell instantly. "But, Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers, and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop."

"You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!" Finn shouted, upset with Jesse's comments.

Dan sighed and slid even further down in her chair. This was exactly what she meant when she said Jesse wasn't a good fit for McKinley.

"Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice," Will told Jesse.

"Gentle?" he repeated as if it were a foreign word.