chapter five: trapped

Hunter sat up and rubbed his eyes. Had he fallen asleep? He couldn't remember. He felt even worse than before, and needed to use the bathroom. Hunter got off of the bed and walked towards the door. He tried to open the door, but it was locked. He tried to get out of the room as best he could, but he couldn't. On any other day he would've been able to get out, today was not one of those days.

Hunter gasped and looked around. He hated feeling trapped, but he couldn't remember why. He just always has. He was starting to panic, and the monsters in his head weren't helping. Hunter curled into a ball in the corner and buried his head in his knees. Little rascal sat on one of Hunter's knees as the boy panicked. Little rascal chirped, trying to get Hunter to feel better, but he couldn't.

Hunter didn't look up from his stop in the corner, instead he was played by awful memories and thoughts, and couldn't get them to stop. He heard little rascal chirping, but he couldn't hear it, it was like everything was vague, behind a veil.

_________________________________________

Amity, Gus, and Willow were walking inside the owl house as Eda, Luz, and King were having a conversation and the banging was heard upstairs from where Hunter was.

"Hey Luz, Eda, King" willow said.

"Hey everything OK?" Amity asked, noticing the tension in the room.

Luz sighed "Sit down I'll explain."

Amity, Gus, and Willow sat down, confused as Eda started to explain. Luz interrupted at parts where she was.

"Oh, wow." Amity said after they finished explaining.

"So, you're sure he's good, like not going to kill us?" Gus asked.

"I'm pretty sure, plus he's sick. He couldn't fight us even if he wanted to." Luz said.

"Plus it's not too late to give anyone a second chance." Willow said calmly.

"Well speaking of him, we should go check on him." Eda said, standing up.

_______________________________________

Hunter heard the door opening, but didn't look up. He saw two shadows approaching his figure. Luz sat in front of him and put her hand on his shoulder. He flinched and looked up. Luz was looking at him concerned. He felt the tears running down his cheeks, but didn't care.

Eda sat beside him and pulled Hunter on to her lap and started to comfort him. Hunter struggled against this, but not strongly enough for her to let go, there was two reasons he didn't fight hard 1) he was exhausted and didn't feel like fighting, and 2) he liked it. No one has ever comforted him like this before. (Not that he would ever admit it.) Soon Hunter started to relax and he felt himself started to go limp in the owl lady's arms. He wasn't falling asleep, but relaxed.

Eda carried him to the bed. He remembered the warmth that he had vaguely felt after he crashed. Had Eda carried him inside? Once Eda set Hunter on the bed he curled into a ball again, but this time kept his head up and looked at Luz and Eda.

"Hey what was that about?" Eda asked softly, as to not spoil the boy.

Hunter didn't answer he just turned to stare at the wall.

Eda looked at Luz, then at Hunter, then spoke. "Would you be more comfortable just talking to Luz?" Eda asked.

Hunter nodded slightly, and Eda, king, and everyone in the doorway left, closing the door behind them. Luz sat on the bed with hunter before speaking.

"So, what was that Hunter? You seemed terrified." Luz said.

Hunter hesitated, then spoke softly "I don't like feeling trapped." His voice was quiet and raspy.

"Well why didn't you just tell Eda that?" Luz asked, tilting her head sideways a bit.

"Because it's a weakness that can be used against Me! Besides she thinks my voice is annoying." Hunter started that sentence loud, then it turned quiet, almost calm.

"Oh Hunter, she doesn't really think that. Also how does feeling trapped make you feel?" Luz asked.

"Bad." Hunter answered before continuing, "it brings up some of my worst memories."

"Oh Hunter. I think I know what that is." Luz said. Hunter looked at her confused.

"Well in my world that sounds a lot like something called a panic attack, especially with the way you were acting. It comes from trauma." Luz explained.

Hunter was about to deny the fact that he has trauma, but them he felt his stomach turn and he booted out of the room, Luz followed him. Hunter ran to the bathroom that he found and threw up.

Once Hunter was finished throwing up, Luz helped him up and walked him out if the bathroom. She was about to take him back to the spare room, then looked at the stairs. Luz sighed.

"Do you want to go back to the room and sleep, or do you want to go downstairs with Eda and King?" Luz asked.

"I-I do want to sleep, but do you think that the owl lady could do what she did earlier?" Hunter asked shyly.

"You mean hold you? Ya I'm sure she'd do that again! Come on!" Luz said and reached out to help Hunter down the stairs.

Hunter just walked past her and held on to the railing as he went down. Luz huffed, but followed. Once they were downstairs Luz walked up to Eda and whispered something in her ear as Hunter just awkwardly stood there. Amity, Willow, and Gus were sitting on the floor, talking, paying no attention to Hunter.

After Luz finished her conversation with Eda, she argued with the other kids in the room (king included.) And eventually a movie about a black dragon and a kid named Hiccup was put on. Eda looked up at Hunter and patted the spot on the couch to her right, since Luz and king were on her left.

Hunter awkwardly shuffled over to the couch and sat down next to Eda. As soon as he sat down, Hunter curled into a ball and stared at the movie for what felt like forever. Suddenly, Eda pulled him into her lap. This time he didn't fight, but he did panic for a minute. He panicked because the only times someone held him were when he was defeated in battle or training, or to hold him still for some of belos' punishments.

Once he was in her lap, Hunter squeaked and Eda looked down at him. She noticed that he was twitching every now and then, like he was scared. Hunter squeezed his eyes shut to calm himself down, when he felt someone's hand in his hair. Hunter didn't open his eyes, but the hand playing with his hair, calmed him down, so much so that he didn't realize he was drifting off to sleep.

A/N

Hey guys! Another update! This one is over 1000 words long! Whoooo. OK I'm tired, going to bed now, please comment and vote. Goodnight 😸