Assist - Killian

Killian Hayes absently dragged his forefinger through the wet ring left behind on the bar from his bottle of beer. Tilting his head back, he let the amber liquid slide down his throat before setting the now empty bottle at the edge of the bar for the bartender to dispose of. When the burly Beta behind the bar grabbed the bottle and pointed the neck of it towards him, Killian nodded slightly for another.

A large body sliding onto the stool next was his only warning before a broad hand clapped between his shoulder blades with a solid thud.

"Killian." Malcolm's deep voice acknowledged him even as he dipped his head towards the bartender to order the same beer as Killian. The two men sat in companionable silence until the bartender delivered two full bottles and set one in front of each of them.

"How's Selah doing? Honestly, I'm kind of surprised you'd ventured out. Last time I saw you, you wouldn't let her more than two inches from your side." Killian half-teased with a smirk remembering the last time he'd been to the couples' home.

Breeding Omegas didn't tolerate others well in their personal space. His presence inside their home had made Selah uncomfortable so Malcolm had suggested eating on the back patio. That had served to calm Selah, but when she'd gone inside to get something for the table, Malcolm had turned into a nervous wreck. Finally, with a chagrined, humor-filled look at Killian, Malcolm had given in and followed Selah into the house. Two more times and Killian couldn't stop his laughter. Big scary Alphas turned into anxious beasts when their mate was expecting.

Just another reason he planned to stay far away from all forms of mating and Omegas. He'd never been to an Omega Ball, and he didn't plan to start now. Of course, he didn't feel a twinge or two when Selah looked at Malcolm like he'd hung the stars and moon. It was just heartburn from the red sauce. That's all.

"I'd like to pretend that I'm over that stage, but the only times I can leave her when we're not at work are when I drop her off at Telia and Ashlyn's house or when she's at Sanctuary visiting a client." Malcolm chuckled at Killian's snort, "I know. It's ridiculous. The only way I function during the workday is that I know she's safe in her office. Selah thought it was sweet... for about three days. I swear she's about to finish me off. I went to pick her up yesterday, and I found her on a step stool trying to water her hanging plants."

Killian turned his head in time to see his friend shake his head, "Did the plants survive the fallout?"

"The hanging plants are now sitting on the floor," Mal said, "and despite her protests, her backside was only slightly pink."

Eyes widening in question, Killian just stared at Malcolm with surprise. How do you discipline a pregnant Omega like Selah and keep your hands? Not asking the question his mind was trying to formulate, he tapped his finger against his bottle remembering the aftermath of Selah's rage against her kidnapper. The two Alphas sat quietly for a moment before Malcolm broke the silence.

"Selah could tell you all the psychology behind it, but I absolutely have a fear that if she's out of my sight - out of my control - that something awful is going to happen to her or the babies. At the same time, her Omega side is much more 'present' now than ever before. It's making me need to push for her submission at the same time I'm trying to wrap her in cotton wool."

Killian nodded in response to the tone in Malcolm's voice although he didn't fully understand what the other male was going through.

Killian and Malcolm met several years after Killian joined the Alpha Corps. Malcolm had just become an officer in the Omega Security Force. They'd been on a joint venture, and after spending weeks chasing down leads and finally ending a drug cartel that used unmated Omegas as mules, the two men had formed a close bond despite their differences.