Strength - Abby

Face down on her twin bed, Abby screamed into her thin pillow.

How did this become her life? Had she been a bad person in her previous life? Was this her punishment? Maybe she'd been the Alphahole to some other poor Omega, so karma decided she needed a taste of her own medicine? Was that it?

Just when she started to find some semblance of normalcy, when she'd settled into Sanctuary and began to believe that she could live a somewhat normal life, her father tried to rip away any chance at happiness. Of course, in his eyes, she didn't deserve it because she wasn't a person. Property or objects didn't get to be happy. Omegas were just things, after all, and her only purpose was to please an Alpha.

She should have known that he'd never let her go that easily. She'd been away from the males in her family for too long if she'd gotten soft enough to expect them to just walk away and leave her alone.

After a whispered conference with Malcolm and Killian, Director Baker grudgingly gave her consent for Killian to become part of the security team at Sanctuary. Abby didn't know what they'd said to the other Omega, but she'd visibly paled before giving her agreement. After Selah and the males left, she'd spent a few minutes trying to assure Abby that she was perfectly safe at Sanctuary and that she shouldn't worry before she'd glided out of the room like a perfectly poised Omega.

Shouldn't worry? Shouldn't worry? Wow. She'd apparently been getting threatening notes for weeks that no one had bothered to tell her about. Someone had actually gotten close enough to put one of them on her door. Her Alpha cultist father wanted to bring her back so she could assume her rightful place. A seven foot, insanely hot, giant of an Alpha called her Blossom, smelled like burnt marshmallows, made her Omega instincts sit up and take notice of a male for the first time in... well, ever... but she wasn't supposed to worry.

Yelling into her pillow again, Abby clutched the fabric tightly to her face to muffle the sound. Selah suggested the technique to her weeks ago when she'd confessed to keeping all her frustration and anger bottled up inside. She'd had to learn to swallow it down with her father and brothers. Property wasn't allowed to have feelings, and showing any anger, sadness, or pain always led to abuse for either her or her mother.

This pillow trick could be useful.

Maybe she could smother Killian with it.

The image of the big Alpha spread out on her tiny bed, looking up at her with his black hair and brilliant blue eyes while she straddled his hips, rocking her slick heat against his -

No! What the actual fudge!

Her bed no longer safe as her mind conjured up his smokey sweet scent, Abby abandoned it to pace the length of her room. Twenty steps, turn, twenty steps, turn. Repeat. Her thoughts whirled around in her brain like a whirligig twisting from her father, to Tobias, her possible return to Alpha Haven before ending up with a pair of intense blue eyes staring at her with enough heat to ignite the delicate pink sheer curtains fluttering in the breeze from her open window.

A light knock on her wooden door drew her attention to the closed portal. A citrus combination of lemons and oranges confirmed with a glance through the peephole revealed Catrina and Selah standing at her door.

"Selah?" Abby questioned with a slight lilt to her voice. Visitors, even fellow Omegas, weren't typically allowed past the visitor rooms on the first floor. Selah had never been to Abby's rooms in all the months she'd been at Sanctuary so the visit was not only unexpected but also unusual.

"Director Baker asked me to bring her to your room, Abby." Catrina added with an glance at Selah that surprised Abby. As far as she knew, Catrina had never met Selah on any of her visits, but the look she directed at Selah's back was decidedly unfriendly.