05 | disappointments

= = = = = = = = = =

Auntie: Have a safe trip to London.

Mommy: Be careful, call me every night, okay.

= = = = = = = = = =

I swept through the highly anticipated news of 2013 World Figure Skating Championships on my phone that was to be held around one hour and thirty minutes away by bus from TCSCC.

"Nora, you can get on now." Coach Tracy called me from the top of the stairs of the bus.

I shoved my phone into my backpack and ran up the charter bus steps. There was loud chatter filling the bus. I swept my bangs out of my face. Javi was sitting with Orser, and Coach Wilson and Coach Tracy were sitting together finalizing paperwork.

She motioned to the empy seat beside Yuzu.

I hesitated and glanced over at him and he glared right back at me. I slowly sat down and whispered, "Sorry."

He turned to the window and sneezed. He took out his Winnie the Pooh tissue box and blew his nose and threw it in the trash and rested his head on the window.

"Are you feeling alright?"

He rolled his eyes and ignored me. Javi tapped me on the shoulder.

"He's been a little sick, but he insisted on competiting since the Olympics are next year."

"Oh."

We heard Yuzu cough behind me.

"I hope he gets better soon." I crossed my fingers and tried to smile.

- - - - - - - - - -

I stood by the ice rink's barrier watching Orser give some advice to Javi and Yuzu. Javi was attentive, trying to make jokes with Yuzu, but Yuzu just looked tired and forced a few laughs. He passed by his Winnie the Pooh numerous times during the practice to blow his nose leaving a pile of tissues next to it, that I had to throw away.

I took our their waterbottles from their practice bags and I moved Yuzu's Pooh to the side and he skated up to me a slapped my hand away and took his Pooh bear and put it next to Orser.

"Don't touch my Pooh bear."

I put my hands up in defense, "Jeez, no need to be rude."

I watched them practice their quads, triples, and some footwork. Yuzu's triple axel was truly the most amazing jump ever and yet when he fell he looked so graceful.

"Hey, I haven't seen you help out with Orser before, you new?"

I turned around and saw Patrick Chan. I've heard about him because he's Canada's star, but mainly because my parents were fans of figure skating before we moved to the US.

"Y-yeah I'm new."

"Nice too meet you. I'm Patrick Chan. You're helping some of the best talent in this sport." He smiled.

"I'm Nora." I bowed a little, "You all are so amazing."

My phone vibrated in my pocket.

= = = = = = = = = =

Coach Tracy: Hey Nora, I need some help sorting out the hotel paperwork. Could you come by the lobby?

= = = = = = = = = =

"I have to go, I hope we can talk again."

I ran to Orser to tell him that I was going to help Tracy and I left the rink.